2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

surging

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default surging

Hey guys, I am not having good luck with the sticky searches tonight. I have a 2001 V6 auto 2wd ram 1500. It can start & idle fine, but when I take off (regardless of warm up or not) it will start to go, but then surge a few times then be fine. At night I notice the lights go bright & dim with the surging perfectly. I will say that my tranny is kaput, first gear clutch pack & first/reverse band are crap. That means sometimes at take off the entire truck shakes worse than you can imagine - drinks vibrate right out of the cup holders too. I am about to replace the tranny this week since I now have a replacement. I have a suspicion that the tranny may be causing the rmp & electrical surge so I am almost suspending too much thought on this until the tranny swap is done to see if that cures it. I am just curious if this has happened to any of you & what the cause & cure may be if not the tranny.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to yourself in a week, then tell yourself what you have found, then apply your newly aquired knowledge from yourself to your truck.

Then report back.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Was it checked for codes? You might want to remove the TB and check the plenum. A clogged cat can cause that as well. ANd the v6 has the same problem as the v8 are as that goes.

Quick Reply: surging