2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TV cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my understanding, it will shift at higher or lower line pressure and higher or lower RPM, right? It definitely shifts firmer if you move it towards the firewall. It will also kick down out of 3rd into 2nd at odd times if you go too far. Too far the other direction will cause loose/slippy shifts at lower RPM. Cable end centered on TB stud is factory, as I understand it. One tooth toward firewall is a much better shift for me. Except for the aforementioned drop from 3rd to 2nd and immediately back to 3rd, which is happening occassionally. Let us refer to this henceforth as the "goofy shift" to lessen my typing.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In that case, mine is adjusted "properly" and still have the goofy shift at times. I just deal with it, mainly cuz my tranny will probably need rebuilt sometime this year anyway.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the pressure is not correct, regardless of how the TV cable is set, it will not function properly. There may be something else, but systematic troublshooting dictates to check the pressure first to keep from throwing parts at it. I suppose the otehr option is to keep fiddling with the TV cable........and continue to have problems. Enough slipping in the tranny will take it out at some point.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
jswain
Veteran

I never set it looser than stock, stock being the clip centered on the stud on the TB. Left it at one tooth on the cable tighter than stock. Shifts great other than the occassional goofy drop down from 3rd. It may have always done it, the shift kit just may make it more noticeable. It makes all the other shifts more noticeable. Just wondered if other folks set the cable a little tighter than stock (as most trans shops seem to), or if most center the clip on the stud.

GD, if the pressure is too high or low, what can be done then? Is the pressure adjustable in the VB somehow? Don't worry, not planning on throwing parts at it. If the trans needs built again I will throw a PATC trans or a new truck at it lol. The mileage of the truck at the time will be the deciding factor there.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM
gdstock
Legend

There is an adjusting screw witha spring on the VB. Just have to drop the pan to get to it. Details are in service manual. I checked to see if I could find a photo, but no luck. The manual will also show where the various test ports are and the pressure that you should see at each one and how to correct whatever may not be correct. I bought a couple of gauges when i was working on mine to get them on target. Shifts much better now.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 AM
jswain
Veteran

Thanks, good info. Now if I can get the trans shop on the same page, maybe I'll get the goofy shift gone. From what I described earlier, sound like pressure a little too high or low, or no real way of making an educated guess? I realize it'll have to be tested with a gauge, etc., but I want to have some idea what's up when I take it in.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 AM
XV IRONHYDE VX

Mine also has a rebuilt tranny and does the same thing and annoys the hell out of me always happens between 55 and 60 MPH i personaly think its because im runnin 35"s with a baby 318 engine tryin to turn them. which is straining the tranny making it confussed on which gear to stay in. but ive decided to change my stock 3.55 axle gears to 4.56 to help with the strain and hopefully put me pretty close back to stock performance!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
gdstock
Legend

Go to the FAQ/DIY section and click on the servie manual download. I printed out the transmission section and put it in plastic sheet protectors while I was rebuilding my tranny so I could have it handy (didn't want to drag the laptop out to garage).

Take this printed section to the tranny shop.......but they should have same info I would think. but at least this will show them that you have something telling you it may not be correct.

Quick Reply: TV cable