2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TV cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV cable

I can't leave my TV cable alone. I have a 1998 (46RE), so the cable has the notches on it and the little white plastic clip. I know the older models were set up a little different. Basically, it seems like there are two settings you could reasonably leave the cable at. One is when unhooked from the TB, the clip is just about in perfect alignment on the stud on the TB. In this setting, the truck downshifts to 2nd less, and I get almost 1 MPG better. The trans doesn't slip, but it shifts a little sooner and not as firm as I'd like. I assume this is the factory setting, having read through service manuals on how to adjust it. The other setting is one tooth rearward, towards the firewall. When the trans was rebuilt (both times), this is where two different shops adjusted it to. Probably because they like the firmer, slightly delayed shifts. I do too. The only thing I don't like is occassionally, when applying progressive throttle in 3rd gear, the trans will drop down to 2nd for no apparent reason, and then go back to 3rd. Once this annoys me enough, I go back to the first setting I mentioned (probably stock). Then I eventually want the firmer shifts again and go back to setting number 2. Its a vicious cycle. I will eventually break the clip or lose my mind. You guys that have been around these trucks for a while, where do you have yours set? With the cable unclipped from the TB stud, is it in alignment with the stud, or do you have the cable slid one tooth back towards the firewall? If you have it one tooth towards the firewall, do you get that annoying drop from 3rd to 2nd and back to 3rd again occassionally? I'm considering seeing if the BW GP sensor/ selenoid helps with that, but I hate to waste the money if its unrelated. I was told all electronics were replaced when it was rebuilt, but have no way of knowing that. If they were replaced, I could already have the BW unit in there, but I don't know how likely that is. I also wonder which setting is best for transmission longevity. The setting with the firmer shifts seems like it would be better for the trans, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put a Sonnax Sure Kit in valve body and leave TV cable the same - which ever way you want it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
jswain
Veteran

So that will stop the goofy 3rd to 2nd to 3rd shift for sure (you're speaking from experiencing the same thing before installing the kit, I guess)? Has a Transgo kit now, according to the trans shop, was their preferred shift kit.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
gdstock
Legend

I don't know about the transgo kit. Sonnax helped mine. Maybe need to adjust pressure on VB itself.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM
jswain
Veteran

May ask the trans shop about it. Still under warranty for about 6k more miles, so I can't do anything myself now. Took it back and told them about it a while back and they just loosened up the TV cable a bit, which helped, but didn't make the goofy shift go away completely. Hard to find time to leave it with them, ya know. Daily driver.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 PM
gdstock
Legend

Have them check gov pressure, servo pressure and others with gauge if they will. Details in manual. Pressure have to be in range for it to function properly.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-15-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep!

Sounds to me like the pressure is low. I would also ensure that you are using ATF+4. I am doing a test with Mobil ATF Fully Synthetic and like it so far, but again it is only a test. Most people I know use Valvoline AFT+4 Fully Synthetic and a Dealer filter.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
jswain
Veteran

I wouldve thought the pressure would be high, since if you tighten the TV cable, it acts up more. Was thinking tightening the cable made it shift at a little higher pressure. But, I don't pretend to know squat about an automatic trans. I can adjust the TV cable and change the fluid and filter. Other than that, I gotta trust someone else.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

So moving the thingy towards the firewall helps eliminate slipping? I have dinked with mine and read different things and still never really figured out what the adjustments were doing.

I guess I'm just a dumbass when it comes to this cable.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
gdstock
Legend

The TV cable actuates the valve in the VB to kick down. Moving it just changes at what point it operates.

If fluid pressure is not correct, the response will not be what is desired. Pressure by nature can be too low, just right, or too high.

Quick Reply: TV cable