2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram seeing coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Craven23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram seeing coolant.

Saw a small spot under my truck, popped the hood and saw coolant in amongst the pulleys and serpentine belt, water pump?
How much to repair?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely its gonna be ur water pump blew. pump done cost that much. but if your gonna do it urself ur gonna need the pump, a new bypass hose, gasket, and rtv for an added seal, the gasket for the pump sucks, so you wanna coat both side of it with rtv. its not a hard job to do really, like 5 bolts i think. but be sure to take the fan shroud out, it gives tons more room to work.you can take the fan off before you remove the pump or you can just remove the pump with fan attached and then take it off.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Craven23

Thanks, I'll probably have it done. I hate getting in over my head.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Jason_Dodge
Rookie

Hey Craven, Online and in manuals it tells you take the fan clutch\fan and shroud out together as an assembly, ignore that. You CAN wiggle the shroud out. You have to move the fan and wiggle the shroud over it while angling the top portion of it over the fan. It's not hard to figure out. That's if you want to avoid taking the fan off... because it's a pain and you have to rent tools and stuff to do it.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you change the pump without removing fan? Unless you have e-fan.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jason_Dodge
That's if you want to avoid taking the fan off... because it's a pain and you have to rent tools and stuff to do it.
Huh? I went to autozone, and spent like 10$ on a strap wrench and already had a set of vice-grips. With the proper angle of attack, and some liquid courage, I had the fan off in a couple minutes. Not to mention the strap wrench, actually came with a lil mini strap wrench i donated to the wife for jarred foods. Bonus points for the wife, from the parts store??? That doesn't happen often!! +1 for me. If you see me driving around Omaha, Jason, Make sure to wave.

To the OP, waterpump really isn't too hard of a job. I did mine in my driveway last summer, with just some standard tools, maybe some socket extensions/ ujoints., and the autozone strap wrench. Took only a couple hours. Oh, and can't forget the patio umbrella and stand, for shade, because it was about 105 degrees that day. Was 7 bolts if i remember correctly, maybe 8 and didn't have to remove the A/C or alternator to access them. Definitely remove the fan shroud, so you can climb in, to clean off the old Gasket/ sealant from the motor. Only thing I'd be wary of, is that I've read the timing gasket can be disturbed while removing the waterpump. I must've lucked out, because I didn't seem to have any issues with that, after re-installation. Oh, and against popular advice, I also didn't change the bypass hose. Just checked for any leaks/ issues with it, while I was down there, and called it good. Haven't had any issues...yet.

That was also the same time I went through 3 of the fail-safe t-stats in a 2 month span. First was a 180. Engine threw a code for not getting hot enough. Second failed in days. Third failed in a couple weeks. Stuck a regular ol' 195 t-stat back in it, and not an issue yet. Won't ever buy a fail-safe again.

Last edited by bekins01ram; 03-20-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: misspelled threw, for through :P
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by Craven23
Thanks, I'll probably have it done. I hate getting in over my head.

dont waist your money having someone else do it. its only 6-8 bolts right in front in plain view. take the shroud off then the fan, and its right there. and a trick with taking the shroud out (some people dont know, you might but ill say it anyways) is to make sure that the 2 fan blades that are close together are facing down, (thats why the fan has the cluster of 3 blades and the other cluster of 2 blades on opposte sides of the pulley). this makes it easier to lift the shroud up and over the top of the fan. once its over the fan it will just slide out. dont try to do it with the shroud in.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to take the fan off the clutch on the water pump BEFORE you remove the water pump.

That thing is a b**** to get off if you leave it on

Quick Reply: 01 Ram seeing coolant.