2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possibly painting my stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Motorizer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i bought a set of tires yesterday the same exact set I just had I drove two hours to get the same 265/75r16 goodyear wrangler rt/s tires. I have been pricing these tires and they are 768.00 dollars brand new. I drove two hours 35.00dollars in gas and 273.00 for 4 tires with 80percent tread left. not bad!

So I get to the place guy comes out asking if I called earlier about these tires I say yes. so i pull my truck into one of the bays.............................................. ...........now they have all 4 tires mounted and one guy is doing one side and the other guy is doing the other side. well I'm watching the guy on the right side of the truck making sure those lugnuts are getting a good tightening. well stupid me forget to check the drivers side of the truck. They say I'm all good to go. so i pay and back the truck out turn down the road a bit stop at the stop sign everything is going good nothing feels any different. I turn onto the main road which is six lanes of traffic. 3 lanes going each way. I barely step on the gas to get up to speed doing about 35. my *ss end hits the ground I look out my drivers side window to see my tire cross 5 other lanes of traffic and misses everybody hits the baracade and drops so i kind of tap the breaks and get the truck out of most of the lane. (left tailight is still sticking into the lane, hope nobody hits it. toss the flashers on really fast get out of the truck and i book it back to the shop telling them to get out here and fix this mess. 5 guys come out and 1 goes across the street and fetches the tires which takes about a half hour 5:30pm traffic was horrible. the other guy is flagging traffic so two other guys can get my lugnuts, one guy is jacking up my truck. it takes another half hour to get 5 lugnuts on because of traffic and 3 girls that were texting and driving almost hit my truck. in that time period. So once the lugnuts are on tight I throw the truck in reverse and go back around that corner and back right next to their shop. At this time the manager comes out, and says if anything is damaged on this truck its coming out of your paycheck. the manager and I are looking at everything on the truck. (i must have got lucky nothing was broke nothing looked dinged up) the manager and employee are all apologizing to me. I told them I'm mad it happen of course but i'm happy nobody got hurt when my tire crossed 5 other lanes of traffic. The employee walks up to me pulls out his wallet and says this is all i got at the moment and gives me 75dollars.Me not liking to take things offer the money back to him he says no no no so I put it in my wallet. Needless to say this place was a really good place to go to other then the problem I had. On the 3 hour drive home. yes 3 hours with all the traffic, i get abut 20minutes from my place, 6inches of snow. So I say alright i used my old tires when they had under 15% tread left in the snow and ice and they did great so lets see what these newer tires with 80% tread can do. Im going up this steep logging road the snow is getting deeper and no problems with the new tires, they didnt spin when i hit ice or anything so. For now i'm pleased with them, I wanted something bigger, But could not afford too much right now.

sorry about the long paragraph.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Agostage
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap! Glad no one got hurt!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a similar incident on a flat bed dually work truck years ago. Had just had new rubber put on and was cruising down the highway, looked over and saw a wheel pass me, hit the median and jump over into oncoming traffic. As Im watching it I realize its my wheel and tire, just as the second tire came off the truck. Not a good day that day.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad nobody got hurt. No pics anymore (when there was pics, I remember they came out great), but if you read this whole thread, you might pick up some tips on painting the wheels. Thanks to the infamous Viper37. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...inty-time.html

Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy S**T that is scary...glad everything is ok

Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Motorizer
Professional

Originally Posted by Agostage
Holy crap! Glad no one got hurt!
Me too, it was not fun

Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Motorizer
Professional

Originally Posted by PapaG
Had a similar incident on a flat bed dually work truck years ago. Had just had new rubber put on and was cruising down the highway, looked over and saw a wheel pass me, hit the median and jump over into oncoming traffic. As Im watching it I realize its my wheel and tire, just as the second tire came off the truck. Not a good day that day.
oh wow, no not a good day at all

@zman17, yeah im glad nobody got hurt either, wish it had pics, but I'm going to re-read here in a bit, what I have read is very interesting

@dipsherry first time that has ever happened to me, glad nobody hit my tire and im glad nobody rear ended me.
The rest of the ride home, i'm not going to lie I was nervous ( but go figure found 6inches of snow and had to go play for a bit)

Quick Reply: possibly painting my stock rims