2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loss of torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
DukeCityOffRoad
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of torque

I have a 5.9l V8 lately it has been feeling like it got kicked in the nuts ha it just seems like it lost torque but it seems faster. Also my temperature gauge stopped working until friday I drove around for awhile and it the gauge actually went up not to how hot it should be but it actually went up for the first time since I had the oil changed. I checked the oil it was really high overfilled. I had it done at Valvoline but im not sure if these are related but I don't know

Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeCityOffRoad
I have a 5.9l V8 lately it has been feeling like it got kicked in the nuts ha it just seems like it lost torque but it seems faster. Also my temperature gauge stopped working until friday I drove around for awhile and it the gauge actually went up not to how hot it should be but it actually went up for the first time since I had the oil changed. I checked the oil it was really high overfilled. I had it done at Valvoline but im not sure if these are related but I don't know
are you sure thats just oil and doesnt have gas or water in it at this point?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 AM
DukeCityOffRoad
Amateur

I am not sure if there is gas or water in the oil I live in new Mexico so I doubt it's water

Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Verate

Does it look like a grungy old milkshake when you take the oil fill cap off the valve cover? Also i put nothing past valvoline jiffy lube or walmart. the latter being notorious for forgetting to put oil in or stripping the drain plug.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if there is gas or water in the oil I live in new Mexico so I doubt it's water
Dust maybe...?

Have you repaired the plenum...? My 98 Ram statrted running like a pig, took a look in the throttle body, sho nuff. I bought a plate off EBAY, now I just need to put it on

Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
DukeCityOffRoad
Amateur

I haven't checked the cap but I will when I get home. I haven't looked at the throttle body yet to see if it is blown I am starting to suspect it though but it only has 85,000 miles on it

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Adobedude
All Star

I haven't checked the cap but I will when I get home. I haven't looked at the throttle body yet to see if it is blown I am starting to suspect it though but it only has 85,000 miles on it
85K....It's probably blown.

Have you had your truck to the stealerhip...They lke to sneak in all the current PCM upgrades, like the Deathflash.

I use Melloy on Coors to set the Fuel Sync on my Dakota, but I won't leave the truck for a second, they usually let me drive it into the shop...I think it scares em....LOL

Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
DukeCityOffRoad
Amateur

I haven't had it to the dealership. I think I might take it to melloy this weekend

Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine was blown at 78K when I got it(not real bad), and for however long it was blown before that.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
PapaG
Veteran

I think he meant water, as in coolant from the motor. If you have a cracked head then coolant can end up in the oil. These trucks are notorious for the vicious cycle of blown plenum clogs cat which leads to cracked heads. Not saying thats your problem but does happen a lot with these trucks.

Quick Reply: loss of torque