2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition switch problem

Well with one plenum fix down and one to go I decided to take a break and tackle this other issue. When I start the truck, if I don't turn the ignition switch back just a hair my Air Bag and ABS lights stay on. Also I just recently discovered that once in a while (done it twice and can't replicate it for anything) when I turn the key off, if I go back to far (like to the accessory setting) the starter will engage but not turn over the engine, just the starter whining away. Before I drop $100 on a new ignition cylinder and tear into the steering colum, I want to make sure that's the problem.
Aside from that I haven't noticed any other electrical issues. Details on the truck are in sig - bottom truck

Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does sound like ignition switch. $55 at rock auto(plus you can use the discount code from the general discussion section) and $65 at advance.

Plus, you'll want to pull the covers off the column anyway to check for damaged wires regardless. If you have tilt wheel, it's fairly common for wires to get damaged .

Last edited by zman17; 03-22-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch problem