2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spool question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
do you notice your Detroit up front in 2wd? or id ou before replacing with posi loc?
I just finished my truck tonight drive it for about 4 miles on paved roads I could hear the locker but didn't feel it

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

shweet. so just my cad acting up then... time for posi lock!!! :P Also ordering a set of 33-12.5-15(same size i gots now) goodyear MTR's or mickey thomp's dunno which yet.. prolly goodyears.. right now im orsdering several shots of the good ol whiskey for myself... :P will report later hahah...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
shweet. so just my cad acting up then... time for posi lock!!! :P Also ordering a set of 33-12.5-15(same size i gots now) goodyear MTR's or mickey thomp's dunno which yet.. prolly goodyears.. right now im orsdering several shots of the good ol whiskey for myself... :P will report later hahah...
from the spelling i would say you had a few shots already in you lol....yeah i spent some quality time with ole capt. morgan last night after i finished my truck.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
You would like to think Iam wrong and you can think what you will. Spool in the front axle a bad idea plain and simple. The drivers side is locked all the time and when you hit the go pedal it will want to veer to the pass side not to mention the front drive shaft will be turning at speed not a good thing to have going on. Front drive shaft wasn’t designed to be spinning at 70+ mph. Engage 4WD and you can forget about steering control without some sort of hydra assist and as the OP has already found out the stock steering pump and gear box isn’t up to the task and will fail in short order every time. Then you will start breaking parts like the stub shafts, axle shafts, u-joints, ball joints ect ect. Then you will start to notice your front tires wearing out in very short time. Unlike a locker that unlocks a spool is locked all the time so when you try to steer the axle will want to twist on its axis to allow the tires to rotate at different rates and a spool will not allow this so you start breaking parts because of the huge amount of strain put on the axle. It is common knowledge with the off-road community that a spool in a front axle is NEVER A GOOD IDEA. Google it. The OP has already killed his NEW steering pump and gear box in 20 miles or less Iam sure, just testing stuff out. Let see what will FAIL in the next 20 miles. REMEMBER 1.Research your project’s on the WWW. 2.Research your project’s on the forums. 3.Believe what you read in that order.
You're wrong. It will not veer anywhere because the transfercase is not engaged, there is no power going to the front axle in 2wd. It will not hurt the front driveshaft to spin all the time, many trucks have live front axles, my Dakota has 275,000 miles on it, I guess it didn't get the memo? It will not cause any tire wear. Good day sir

Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot Hahns you beat me to it again.

We all know what a spool does. We all know the side effects of a spool. Something the rest of us know that you seem to have missed is that when used correctly, a spool will help off road ability in a huge way. If someone were to have a front axle engaged on a dry pavement road, that would classify them as a moron. offroadjosh does not fall into this classification.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

^^ thank you. now that im done with worshiping the porcelain goddess i can work on my truck=P Gotta figure out why the hell the CAD keeps binidng or just run down to our 4wd shop and get the posi loc able setup....

Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Wasn't the CAD after all(although i WILL be getting rid of it..) Found out the mini spool didn't allow my inner axle shaft to go all the way in ther for not allowing the CAD collar to disconnect all the way. 15min with the grinder and 1/8 metal on the inner shaft and truck is on the road again=P

Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Sweeeeeet. I hope you put up some videos of the thing beastin' it up in the mud when you get out there

Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Of Course! Going to take it easy for awhile though lol. Don't wanna break it!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Breaking a spool?

Oh wait. You were referring to all the OTHER parts on the truck

So somewhere I missed that you fixed your wiring after the fire you had?

Quick Reply: Spool question