2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spool question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spool question

Added a spool to my front axle. in 2wd it feels worse than having your truck in 4wd when turning... got on some snow just to mkae sure i was in 2wd and i was. Question is with my truck in 2wd why the hell is it doing that? shouldnt the cad prevent it? that should be like unlokcing a hub correct?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 AM
ClubCab5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
Added a spool to my front axle. in 2wd it feels worse than having your truck in 4wd when turning... got on some snow just to mkae sure i was in 2wd and i was. Question is with my truck in 2wd why the hell is it doing that? shouldnt the cad prevent it? that should be like unlokcing a hub correct?
Any type of locker or spool in the front axle will make the truck a bitch to handle and will steer like crap no matter if it's a cad or has lock outs. Even though the passenger side is unlocked the drivers side is still locked all the time. Spool or locker in the front isn't very safe when driven on the street and you had to find out the hard expensive way.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the cad is unlocking properly, it should have little to no effect on steering. The spool replaces the spider gears, and locks the 2 axles (left and right-inner) with the ring/pinion and drive shaft. but - all the axle motion should be disconnected at the passenger side cad, and cause little effect. you are turning a lot more parts, but as long as it never connects to the passenger side tire, it should be ok.

i think your cad is stuck in a connected state. jack up the front passenger side only and see if it will spin free.

moving forward to operation in 4wd, i think it would be ok on 5 mph trail rides, but unsafe for operation on the street.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 03-23-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

pulled the cad apart and found my issue.. going to have to look at how its supposed to be before i can fix it. any diagrams of where the collar is supposed to be in 2wd?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

i had mine apart last night replacing the cad vaccume system with a manual cable one. With the cad dissengaged it should be near the outer axle.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

do you notice your Detroit up front in 2wd? or id ou before replacing with posi loc?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
Any type of locker or spool in the front axle will make the truck a bitch to handle and will steer like crap no matter if it's a cad or has lock outs. Even though the passenger side is unlocked the drivers side is still locked all the time. Spool or locker in the front isn't very safe when driven on the street and you had to find out the hard expensive way.
You're wrong.

That is all.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^+1 LOL!

That's what I was getting ready to say

Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the collar slides to the passenger side to disengage.
slides toward drivers side to engage.

the ears of the fork must engage the slot in the collar.
the fork is mounted so that it curves toward the drivers side.

because you assemble it sort of blind, you have to use care to align the fork and collar. after assembly, be SURE and test its operation by jacking up the passenger side and engaging/disengaging the cad. passenger side wheel must lock or unlock accordingly.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
ClubCab5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would like to think Iam wrong and you can think what you will. Spool in the front axle a bad idea plain and simple. The drivers side is locked all the time and when you hit the go pedal it will want to veer to the pass side not to mention the front drive shaft will be turning at speed not a good thing to have going on. Front drive shaft wasn’t designed to be spinning at 70+ mph. Engage 4WD and you can forget about steering control without some sort of hydra assist and as the OP has already found out the stock steering pump and gear box isn’t up to the task and will fail in short order every time. Then you will start breaking parts like the stub shafts, axle shafts, u-joints, ball joints ect ect. Then you will start to notice your front tires wearing out in very short time. Unlike a locker that unlocks a spool is locked all the time so when you try to steer the axle will want to twist on its axis to allow the tires to rotate at different rates and a spool will not allow this so you start breaking parts because of the huge amount of strain put on the axle. It is common knowledge with the off-road community that a spool in a front axle is NEVER A GOOD IDEA. Google it. The OP has already killed his NEW steering pump and gear box in 20 miles or less Iam sure, just testing stuff out. Let see what will FAIL in the next 20 miles. REMEMBER 1.Research your project’s on the WWW. 2.Research your project’s on the forums. 3.Believe what you read in that order.

Quick Reply: Spool question