2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leaking Radiator!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is an easy change out. I need to do the AC condenser on mine when I get to it...

Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
2000ramsport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we took out the radiator today is was broke in half on the back side going from the top to about half way down never seen anything like that before.Now i have a new radiator so the stop leak stuff wouldnt of worked anyway.Just wondering on the sides of the radiator there 2 rubber flaps that have 2 bolts with washers connected to them that hold the rubber flaps to the radiator.we lost them somehow and I want to put them back on.where can I buy these?and what are they called and what size are they does anyone know?need a little help thanks guys.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 AM
2000ramsport
Professional

the bolts we lost look like these http://www.nutsandbolts.com/m10150x4...-25-p-282.html im not sure if the ones we lost were pointed or not?or have a flat end so i need to know what there called and who sells them?advanced maybe?there the bolts that hold the rubber flaps onto the sides of the radiator.guess they grew legs and walked away someplace lol.

Last edited by 2000ramsport; 03-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM
gdstock
Legend

Should be able to find at local auto parts store.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

I went to advanced and auto zone they dont have those screws that hold the rubber flaps to the sides of the radiator they are all the wrong sizes.anyone know where the heck i can get those screws?I need to know the size of them to as mine are lost.anyone here maybe with a truck like mine maybe can take one off and find out what size they are for me or take a pic.auto zone had those things with the holes you put the srew in to get the size but i cant find of of mine im missing all 4 screws.Something tells me ill have to go to the dealer to get them ugh.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
I went to advanced and auto zone they dont have those screws that hold the rubber flaps to the sides of the radiator they are all the wrong sizes.anyone know where the heck i can get those screws?I need to know the size of them to as mine are lost.anyone here maybe with a truck like mine maybe can take one off and find out what size they are for me or take a pic.auto zone had those things with the holes you put the srew in to get the size but i cant find of of mine im missing all 4 screws.Something tells me ill have to go to the dealer to get them ugh.
I put my rubber flaps back on with plastic door panel things that just push in the hole. They were black and in my drawer. Have been holding my rubber flaps in place for about a year since I changed my radiator. I have a 97 so I am not sure if we are slightly different but I bet this option is cheaper than the dealer and you only have to get close to the right size and that is what held in my OE flaps to begin with. Maybe you cut them and forgot and only think you lost 4 bolts?

Last edited by 1997DodgeRam; 03-27-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have several choices.

you can leave the flaps out for now, and find new bolts or screws? at your local hardware store or lowes. (i would do this) look at the thread holes to determine if you need screws or bolts. if it has several rounds of threads, you need a bolt, probably metric. if its just a hole in a piece of sheet metal, you need a screw. if you need help, ask the oldest guy in the hardware store to look at your truck to identify it.

you can maybe reattach them with body push-plugs as suggested above.

you can maybe reattach them using zip ties.

if you don't turn up a suitable replacement, visit the dealer. those bolts/screws probably won't cost more than a couple of bucks, but they might have to order them.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 PM
gdstock
Legend

I went out and checked mine as I have grill and bumper pulled off. It has the plastic push type connector similar to door panel connectors. ABout 5/16" or 3/8" hole.

Quick Reply: leaking Radiator!