2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leaking Radiator!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:40 AM
2000ramsport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question leaking Radiator!

My radiator busted a leak tonight when I was at my buddys house.The leaks coming from the top of the Radiator near the center and goes down about 5 inches or so.first thing is does that stop leak stuff really work?someone told me yes and other guys told me it will stop the leak but clog the water pump?I bought a bottle of barks heavy duty Radiator leak its the stuff with the pepper.If its worth trying it do I just pore it in the Radiator into the coolant?or should i just buy a new radiator and if so does advanced sell them?need some info thanks!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine recently. Should be able to get at Advanced or any other major auto parts. I used th stop leak stuff years ago with no problem, but am less likely to do so now. No reason in particular...just got away from "majic" potions I suppose.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Jason_Dodge
Rookie

its not hard to replace a radiator all on our own. You can grab one for 120-150 dollars. i got one for 120 at oreilleys.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 AM
2000ramsport
Professional

Thanks yeah I never replaced a radiator before doesn't seem to hard after I took a look at it.my truck has that big tranny cooler from the factory in front of it. I forget how you fill the coolant though.if I remember right you leave the cap off and pure some coolant in before you start the truck then keep putting in the coolant while the trucks running till it fills?I'm trying to remember from helping someone years ago.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yep, replace the radiator, fill to full, start the engine, and keep topping off the radiator. Might puke some out when the thermostat opens..... One of these makes the job MUCH easier.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stop leak might work, i've used it in a lot of cars. contrary to all the old wives tales, it does not clog up the water pump or ruin the engine. what it does do - is stay in solution until it leaks out and hits air, then it crusts up and creates a seal.

having said that, i'd be more likely to use stop leak on a freeze plug, or metal section of a radiator. i suspect your long crack is in the plastic, and it may continue to run and get bigger. for the 100-125 bucks, i'd just replace it. check ebay also for pricing.

just disconnect the hoses, overflow, windshield washer, etc. GENTLY disconnect the auto trans cooler lines (3/8" fuel line disconnect). separate any attached coolers or ac condensers. then just lift it out and set the new one in. you might have to move the AC cooler stub lines over to the new one. if so seal with teflon tape.

to refill, i buy concentrated antifreeze and distilled water at walmart and mix my own 60/40 to 70/30 or whatever mix. i unscientifically pour in 1/2 gal of each at a time, always starting with coolant. fill to the top, leave the cap off for now. also fill the overflow tank to max, i fill it with pure antifreeze. crank the truck and let it run for about 15 minutes. monitor the temp gauge and DO NOT allow the truck to overheat for any strange reason. when the temp hits about 195 the thermostat will open and the top radiator hose will get very hot and coolant will flow. top off the radiator, put the cap on and leave it alone for a couple of days. you might hear some sloshing sound in passenger side dash for 1-2 days.

do NOT open the radiator cap when engine is hot or warm. do recheck it a couple of days later when COOL.

you'll lose about 1/2 quart of auto trans fluid when changing the radiator. replace with ATF+4 only and pour it down the ATF dipstick. check atf with engine running and trans in neutral only, not park.

this will be good experience for you. go for it.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

fuel line disconnect tool for ATF cooler lines. available at any parts store.
might be a single size (3/8) for under $5.
might be in a set or a pair for up to $20.

cheap one (all you need).
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7361-Fuel-...682824&sr=1-17

expensive one.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6509-Fuel-...2682824&sr=1-2

super-duper set.
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-39900-Ma...2682824&sr=1-5

Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The expensive one won't work for the trans cooler line at the radiator, not enough room to get it in there. (yep, personal experience. )

Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM
chadhager03
Captain

They sell them at advance auto for like $6

Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

I got the cheap one someplace and the expensive one.guess i cant change my radiator today its raining here and have to do it outside ugh.hope after work monday I can get to it.so the truck will sit in the driveway till it gets fixed.thanks for the help everyone...im going up to advanced to so how much the radiator is so illl have it on hand when the rain stops and pick up some coolant.

Quick Reply: leaking Radiator!