2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID's in a 99 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 AM
GiantsNiners99
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's in a 99 Sport

Im looking to get HID's in my sport and iv seen like 5 different set ups. Conversions, Kits, Ballasts, bulbs, housing.... ect. So my truck has duel bulbs in the headlights so di i need 4 all together or do i leave the brights alone or do i change those too? Im looking to get either Phillips or oracle kits and normal white bulbs (no blue or yellow). Do i need to get better housings that can take the heat? Thanks for any info!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to buy a projector housing on ebay or somewhere, or retrofit your housing with a projector from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php, not an easy thing to do. My preference would be the FXR projector if I was going to do mine. If you don't use a projector housing and just use HID bulbs in the factory housing you will blind everyone on the road and are liable for any accident that may occur if you live to tell about it.

Don't bother changing the high beam. For low beam on a sport model you need a Bi-Xenon kit, this means the low beam HID bulb moves with a magnet and becomes hi-beam when activated, I used the HID bulb kits myself in the stock housing for a short time and it looks like sh** with light scatter in no particular focused area, I live in the northwest with lots of rain, spray, fog and the reflected light would blind me from the light shooting strait back at me. I don't reccommend spending your money on the bulb kits, you'll end up removing it when you realize how poorly they work in the stock housing.
You'd be better off getting some PIAA Xtreme white plus and be happy the light is going where it should on the road.
You could assist your headlights with a HID Fog light kit if you still need more light. That's what I ended up doing. I bought it from the website above. Thay are called Blazers and work great and put the light on the ground where it should be with a sharp cutoff to prevent blinding other motorist.

Last edited by beeker; 03-27-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1^^
I just installed 4300k Hid's in my projectors and I love them! (they are as white as they come, not that I'm prejuduce ) awesome light output and not blinding to others (unless they are in my very narrow center path where most of the light focuses).
You can get ticketed for Hid lights on frosted glass halogen housings... especially blue ones since here in new york its a color for emergency vehicles ...not headlights plus your eyes cant see nearly as well in the blue light... Of course its your call...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-27-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: HID's in a 99 Sport