2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knock in Front End

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knock in Front End

2000 2500 4x4 diesel. Pretty sure you guys might know that by now, but what the hell.
Dana 60 front also.

I've got a good knock and bushing squeak going on in my front end. The squeak is definitely a rubber squeak, not metal on metal.
Here is the list of new and good parts:
Ball Joints
Every steering component - tie rod ends, drag link, pitman arm, etc. It's all new.
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links

So, all that's left I think is shock bushings, and the "control arm" bushings. I say "control arm" because that's what dodge calls them, but I would call them lateral arms, or trailing arms kinda thing. I'm really not sure what i would call them to be honest.
I think these have some play in them, but I'm not sure if they should have any play. Not sure what's normal.
Anyway, she's had this knock and squeak for some time, but with the new tires on the front, it's gotten worse I'm assuming because the spanked tires that were on the front are no longer absorbing some of the play in the sloppy sidewalls.
The squeak and knock is getting kinda annoying.
These bushings in these arms, is that something common? I've never seen it before.
Is there anything I'm missing here?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the knock or thump come from under the driver's or passengers's feet? if so, retorque the lower shock bolts to about 110 pounds.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Comes from the passenger feet much more than the driver's. Pretty much dont feel it on the driver's side at all. I can feel it in the floor over there.

I will do that, thank you.

Quick Reply: Knock in Front End