2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

38" tires on my ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:53 PM
young buck
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 38" tires on my ram

hey did u ever try the tires on? did they fit

Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This was an old post.

If your still considering it, Yukon has a 4.88's out now. You would need at least that, if not more, but since that is the biggest you can get.....

Also, 38's are probably over doing it for the stock 1500 axles. Might be fine for street us, but if you like to off-road, you better think about swapping your axles to something stronger, like Dana 60's or 70's out of a 2500.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:55 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

38s will kill your hubs and everything else whether you do off roading or street driving, so dont bother putting them on.

Im running 9" of lift and I can get my 35s to rub so again forget the 38s.

4.88 is the highest gear you can get for the 9.25

as far as the the body lift goes.
Well, I can see some of your points but they a perfectly acceptable and funtion well. Go over to pavementsucks.com 95% of the people on there have a body lift and most of them wheel pretty hard, I my self have hit a few things while wheling and never had any problems.
Body lifts dont suck if they are done correctly.

If you have the money to get a 7" suspension kit get that but the difference between the 5" and the 7" is pretty significant.

on another note, a body lift has an advantage over the suspension lift. Center of gravity. A truck with 3" body lift will have a better center of gravity than a truck with 3" suspension.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:34 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

if you have to pay a shop to put the body lift on for you.. like he said they work fine if its done correctly.. and if something does happen you cant blame it on yourself.. take it back to the shop and let them take care of it for FREE

Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Body lifts can only be put on one way and its really hard to screw it up. If you buy a kit from Performance accessories than everything is included and installs quick.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Chopper1
All Star

All right you got my nerve.

ORIGINAL: zeekxxx

Ok heres my thoughts on the body lift.

I did it to a ranger. 3 inch body lift.

Do it to a truck you dont like too much...

Heres why

The front/rear bumpers are no longer functional. They give you a couple of brackets that boost the bumper up so it LOOKS right.

If you tow anything and raise the rear bumper up you cant use the rear bumper to the rated 1500 pounds.

The gear shifter drops 3 inches unless you get a kit to extend it.

Now dont get me wrong I enjoyed the body lift. It was cheap fast lift for 99 bucks. But my truck was almost worn out so I didnt care if it got jacked up...

After doing it all myself I would not do it to my new dodge. It just makes the truck less rugged. Get a suspension lift. They are made to take a beating.

Now if you are a master welder and can make new custom bumper brackets and reinforce the frame to the body - well then go for it.

I just dont have those skills and more.

So its going to be a suspension lift for me and I will get the $100 u-joints I saw in the 4x4 mag a few months ago that are made for crazy angled axles shafts.

The body lift kits are a lot further along than they used to be. Not 3" of pipe with a bolt wollowing inside anymore.
As far as the front bumpers go on the Dodges and most others after the mid 80's, the accessories bolt to the frame now. If you use a winch or other item it needs it's own framing or aftermarket bumper anyway, which bolt to the frame.
The rear bumpers are not designed to carry any more than a small boat. If you are jacking it up than you will need a reciever anyway to compensate for the angle. Most of us that actually pull stuff have one anyway.
If you take your time and install it correctly there will not be any gaps. Just depends on if you take the time.
As far as the gear shift. It's back to taking your time and doing the job right.
The factory bushings are 3-4" anyway, So should we take them out and bolt right to the frame.
I've had the front of mine in the air coming off the beach a few times, alls good.

OK I got that out of my system.

Quick Reply: 38" tires on my ram