2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Backfires and wont run...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
chucky67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfires and wont run...HELP!

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 truck that is automatic with a 5.2L

My truck is backfiring and won't run right. It all started when it started to run crappy and backfired a couple of time. We put dry gas in it and it seemed to clear right up and run fine for a couple of weeks. NOW, we can't get it to run at all. It just wants to spit and sputter with alot of backfiring. It will start but as soon as you put it in gear it shuts right off.

This is what I have tried so far.....Replaced cap and rotor, replaced air intake temp sensor, replaced water temp sensor, check wiring, appeared to be in time, wires are connected correctly, check all the vacuum hoses and didn't find any leaks, no computer codes are coming up.

Please help we are at our wits end with this thing!!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I guessing either the timing chain is the problem or the dist is off 180 degrees. Could also be a crank sensor too. I will move your post to the 2nd Gen Ram section, Maybe the other members may have an ideal.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 AM
elevated81
Amateur

if you just turn the key so all electronics come on, can you hear the fuel pump kick in? -> maybe dirty fuel filter? will it idle ok or is that where it sputters? could be a number of things.. TPS, IAC motor, coil..

Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be crank sensor too. They are hard to test though. One thing I would eliminate is a clogged cat. Unscrew the o2 sensor and see what it does for S's&G's.

Get a Haynes if you don't have one. Most if not all the sensors can be checked. Might as well clean the IAC as well. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html Remove the negative battery cable before replacing or cleaning any electrical parts. This will reset the PCM while you are working on it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

Could be many things jumped the timing gear , or bad valve do a compression test on it how many? miles on the motor

Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky67
I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 truck that is automatic with a 5.2L

My truck is backfiring and won't run right. It all started when it started to run crappy and backfired a couple of time. We put dry gas in it and it seemed to clear right up and run fine for a couple of weeks. NOW, we can't get it to run at all. It just wants to spit and sputter with alot of backfiring. It will start but as soon as you put it in gear it shuts right off.

This is what I have tried so far.....Replaced cap and rotor, replaced air intake temp sensor, replaced water temp sensor, check wiring, appeared to be in time, wires are connected correctly, check all the vacuum hoses and didn't find any leaks, no computer codes are coming up.

Please help we are at our wits end with this thing!!
I had a jeep that did this once..exact symtoms dry gas and all....I took it to my mechanic and even hee had a hard time finding the problem.... it ended up being one of the sensors on the throttlebody ,It was years ago and a throttlebody injection model so I dont remember which sensor it was) Although I have seen a plugged fuel filter cause the same effects...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Backfires and wont run...HELP!