2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Cover with Bed Liner???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Big Purps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau Cover with Bed Liner???

Hey guys, I haven't really posted that often here but have been an avid reader for years. First off, thanks for EVERYTHING I have learned/all the different tips and tricks from this forum.

I am wondering if anyone has seen or done this themselves. And that is coating a tonneau cover with black bed liner. I know that this would add a lot of weight to the unit, but I'm wondering how it would look.

The reason I want to do this is that my truck is being painted black later on this year, but I need to get a tonneau cover asap. The funds aren't that deep to grab a new tonneau, and I can get a sweet deal on a yellow one right now.

Anyways, thanks again. Just wondering your guys thoughts.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do you have to have a tonneau cover?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont think getting a tonneau cover sprayed with bed liner would be any cheaper than just getting it painted

Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

i would assume that you could do it. it would basicaly be a thick coat of spray paint. it probly wont be very glossy though.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Big Purps

I need to get a locking hard tonneau so I can keep my tools in my truck for work. So i don't have to keep them filling up the back seat, or lug them from my house to the truck every morning. And if i were to do any bed liner then I would do it myself. So i'm thinking the cost would be only materials. not recommended?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

i think actual paint would be the way to go. or a toolbox.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Big Purps

Yeah I was thinking the toolbox route too. But all the stuff I need day to day is going to take up most of the bed. So i've decided on a tonneau. I just hate the idea of having a mismatched tonneau for a while. Might have to suck it up though. Argh... lol

Last edited by Big Purps; 04-15-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

Paint it with a rattle can

Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

i see what you mean. i occasionally help out with some masonry work and some of the big saws i use wouldnt fit into a tool box.
bedliner would work but it would be heavy and since it isnt very glossy, it wouldnt match very well. paint may take a bit longer and may be a bit more expensive but thats probly the way to go.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

Well, not sure what exact cover you're looking at, but there are probably better choices for a flexible fabric than bed liner. Plenty of vinyl dyes, for example.

If it's a hard surface cover, use whatever you want, though. Not sure a bedliner kit would be most const effective but if you can use the whole kit, maybe coat something else, should be fine. I don't think there would be enough in the typical kit to do both your box and the lid. Maybe epoxy paint (it's the stuff coating the cinderbrick walls at your high school, also some garage floor paints) would be cheaper. You can topcoat it with anything.

They have had water-cleanup epoxy paint for more than a decade. I first used it probably 20 years ago but it was aircraft supply only then. Tough and relatively easier to work with for a 2-part paint; a lot of 2-parts are pretty toxic, full breathing apparatus req'd, etc. Resists acids, fuels, oils, water, reasonably durable, smooth finish possible, somewhat self-levelling so not terribly difficult to apply, etc.

Two examples, but there are lots of suppliers and products:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...xy-coating-p43
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...oating-m43-m44

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 04-16-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover with Bed Liner???