2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PROBLEM solved !! all the imfo you people didnt help not one squit you all kept telling me the same s*** no answers dealer couldnt fix it took it to a local shop had it fixed in front of me in 3 minites turned the dizzy to the far right and it purred like a kitten i started to dout my mechanical knowalge i had it apart 3 times YOU DONT! know what i just went thru a dodge dealer ship coulndnt fix it newburgh dodge dealership DONT GO THERE !! you do not have to have things reset by no scaNNER WHEN YOU TAKE IT APART thats bs i got it right by my self DONT GIVE ADVISE IF YOU DONTY KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!!!!

Last edited by johnnyjaws98; 04-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee. You getting chippy, when you did not read the manual, as everyone should know to do before taking on something they are not familiar with. You took it apart, not knowing what to do, make a mistake, and do not pay close attention to information provided and THEN say we diod not help?

I believe Merc225 gave you the answer - resettinng fuel sync. That is done by turning distributor. Can't speak to dealer not being able to fix it....

I do not understand why you would have to turn distributor if you installed the timing set correctly. It is not part of the repair process...if you check the FSM.

So complain about members knowledge, think you have all the answers, and see how helpful that is the next time you have a problem.

If you want good answers, provide good info. Don't just tell us how it was and you put it back. That is not credible.

I am in my 50's, and have been working on cars since my teens. Street rods, muscle cars, and trucks. And I still refer to manuals and knowledge of others. And I have found that the people here are very knowledgeable and more than willing to help. But don't p*** in their ear and tell them it is raining. They are too smart for that.

Good luck with your truck. Hope it keeps running OK.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws98
PROBLEM solved !! all the imfo you people didnt help not one squit you all kept telling me the same s*** no answers dealer couldnt fix it took it to a local shop had it fixed in front of me in 3 minites turned the dizzy to the far right and it purred like a kitten i started to dout my mechanical knowalge i had it apart 3 times YOU DONT! know what i just went thru a dodge dealer ship coulndnt fix it newburgh dodge dealership DONT GO THERE !! you do not have to have things reset by no scaNNER WHEN YOU TAKE IT APART thats bs i got it right by my self DONT GIVE ADVISE IF YOU DONTY KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!!!!
Dude, dont know where the attitude comes from, we tried answering the question you asked. When I changed mine I didn't have to move the distributor at all, just switched the chain & gears and it started right up and runs great. Point is, we give answers based on our personal knowledge and experience.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here read it http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Cams...uel%20Sync.pdf

Edit: Never Mind, not worth my time

I guess we won't see you back here then since you know it all.

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-19-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

------- im sorry for getting wise last night didnt mean too but advise was all the same i know how to read a manual but this motor was more apart and all the manuals were for just replaceing the chain not reinserting the dizzy then being told it had to go to a dealer to be reset thats not so

Last edited by johnnyjaws98; 04-19-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
trucklover
Veteran

------- im sorry for getting wise last night didnt mean too but advise was all the same i know how to read a manual but this motor was more apart and all the manuals were for just replaceing the chain not reinserting the dizzy then being told it had to go to a dealer to be reset thats not so
To get it set correctly you have to have it hooked up to scanner. It will run ok if you adjust it by ear, but to get it where it should be at it needs to be checked. It only requires a very little adjustment to vary the sync.

I have reread this post and the PM you sent me, and I don't see anywhere you mentined you were replacing the distributor. You were asking about the chain. (Even though I did discuss this in the PM I sent you). I can tell you from experience that you can be off a little with the distributor gear and compensate for it by turning the distributor. The engine will purr, but if you have headers you will see them glowing bright red at night, which is not good. As much as the guy had to turn your distributor it makes me wonder if you are not a little off in the distibutor gear position.
Or the dealership may have not had a clue about what they were doing.

Oh well...good luck with this

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM
PapaG
Veteran

Glad you got it running. As a side note, I can understand your frustration but in order to get an answer to a question/problem you've gotta give us info. U didnt say before that you had pulled the distrubutor, you asked only about the timing marks on the gears. Our advice was based on exactly what you told/asked...if we had known you pulled the dist then advice would have accordingly.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

Thank you all FOR YOUR HELP

Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Unreal! No comment about the bs post. But, I provided two links for info that I guess were not followed or looked at (because it would have started if they were). And btw, it still needs to have the sync set with a capable scanner. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Damn straight, don't need no tire pressure gauge either, jest fill em up till they look good.

Quick Reply: timing chain help