2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram won't start after plenum fix..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
elevated81
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think there was 5 ground wires coming off the firewall, id start from the firewall and follow all of them, make sure they connect to something.. maybe pull them back off and clean them up with a wire brush.

did you clean the battery posts/connectors as well

Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the all the vac lines connected to the manifold , brake booster ext ?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Is it draining the battery? Do the wires that attach to the battery get hot? Put the battery back in the 300, is it still ok in it? You could also test the truck battery in the 300 (or better, bring to an auto parts store and have them do a free test on it). If its not drained, I'd say its a ground or hot wire loose somewhere. You can isolate by using a set of jumper cables. First try the ground (it's safer). Just find a good grouding point on the truck, attach one end of the cable, and then the other ond to the battery. See if it cranks or at least turns. If not try the hot directly to the starter. First, DISCONNECT the hot from the battery so while you are trying to get the jumper on the starter, you dont short to the frame near the connection. Secure the cable and insulate with electric tape so if it moves it won't short out. Then reconnect the battery AND the other end of the jumper. Try to crank.

One last point...don't use the same grounding point thats in questiin.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
DCFan13

Finally got it!

Battery connection was right... I decided to clean the terminals really good with baking soda/water mixture (they didn't look that bad to begin with).

BUT... after scrubbing on the negative cable.. found there were two sizable cracks in it.

I was able to get it running as-is, but the negative cable terminal will definitely need replaced.

Thanks for everyone's help/advice! I really appreciate it!!

Quick Reply: 98 Ram won't start after plenum fix..