2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering pulley "Ticking"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering pulley "Ticking"

Been hearing a ticking sound under the hood.

I originally thought it was lifter tick, but I managed to localize the sound my Ram is making to the power steering pulley, so I assume the bearing in there is toast.

Can the pulley be replaced? or does the whole pump need to go? I assume the bearing is attached to the pump and not the pulley yes?

Thanks for any assistance.

99 1500 4x4 360 5.9L

Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bearing is internal to the pump. Replacement pump is not too expensive. But make sure belt is not one groove off before you replace pump. That would make some noise I would think.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this past winter i had ticking noises coming from the belt which turned out to be the tensioner itself and the idler pulley.

unhook the belt from the tensioner and rotate/wiggle each pulley by hand. any wiggle, wobble, click, ringy, or dry feel is bad.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

There may just be dirt in one of the grooves too for that matter.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:13 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my power steering pump pulley is warped. Not sure how that happens, but it does not spin straight. It looks wobbly. SO, until I get that fixed, i can't spin her up to 4500+ RPMs without the belt shearing itself.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
my power steering pump pulley is warped. Not sure how that happens, but it does not spin straight. It looks wobbly. SO, until I get that fixed, i can't spin her up to 4500+ RPMs without the belt shearing itself.
My belt runs straight and true, no pulley wobble or anything...just the tick...

Hey, question, where did you get the Mopar intake filter and valve covers you have in your screenshot picture?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I saw an intake inthe parts section here on DF yesterday.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RageGuy
My belt runs straight and true, no pulley wobble or anything...just the tick...

Hey, question, where did you get the Mopar intake filter and valve covers you have in your screenshot picture?
The valvecovers were from ebay. It took me TWO YEARS to get them for 100 dollars or less, as it seems like they sell for around 120-140. Brand new they are around 190. The LA block ones are much cheaper, but they will not fit magnum heads. People ALWAYS get them mixed up because they are 60 bucks brand new,

The air cleaner, I got from summit. I broke down and got it brand new. However, I don;t run with that air cleaner. It was too loud for my liking and I went back to the stock setup with a K&N. Plus I did not want to spend another 45 bucks on a K&N filter for it. Spectre does not make the specific size for that filter, so I can't get it any cheaper.

I also have a dual snorkel with ducting and a K&N filter that can be made for a TRUE Ram Air application. Never put that one on either. Looks nice, i painted it wrinkle black.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM
trigger29
Amateur
Default warpage speed

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
You know, I noticed the other day that my pulley is warped too. Did you ever get anywhere w/ yours? As best I can tell the shaft on the pump isn't warped. Thanks

Quick Reply: Power Steering pulley "Ticking"