2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brake Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012 | 05:37 PM
TheBrownDragon
|
Default Rear Brake Install

Hello,

I'm currently attempting to replace the steel brake lines that run over the rear axle and I've come to a stalemate with a seized bolt that goes into a splitter of some kind. I've soaked the area around the bolt and tried to get into the threads as much as possible for the past week on and off, waiting 20 minutes, coming back to tap on the bolt/reapply PB blaster. I then bought the correct size flare nut wrenches from Sears, grabbed my channel locks and watched in horror as the bolt immediately stripped. I grabbed some pliers to hold the splitter steady while I tried again with the channel locks but after attempting this all day I don't think it's going to budge. I do have a blow torch I used to heat up the surrounding area, but I can't get it hot enough without burning the rubber hoses/blowing up the truck. I've included a picture of the splitter because I'm not sure what it's called... has anyone run into problems with this part and has any advice for me?

Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake Install-splitter.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012 | 06:40 PM
gdstock
Legend

That is a T to send brake fluid to each rear wheel cylinder. None of the lines will come out? Should be able to get a new T from auto parts store.

Old 05-06-2012 | 09:06 PM
99ram360sport
Professional

I'm not sure if your aware but that splitter threads into the top of the axle tube and is also the vent for the axle.

Old 05-06-2012 | 11:02 PM
TheBrownDragon
|

I know it is a vent of some sort but not specifically for the axle. I don't see the T on any of the brake parts pages on autozone, also I'm not really sure how to get the hoses back into the T; there isn't a bolt or anything to take it off. I might be a little to inexperienced to do this job, but it's 90% there if this bolt would just cooperate with me.

Old 05-06-2012 | 11:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

Have you downloaded the service manual AND the parts manual available in the FAQ/DIY section? Should be able to find the Dodge part number in the parts manual. Gove that number to parts store clerk. It should cross over. May also find it in the HELP section of the store (Dorman).

Old 05-06-2012 | 11:24 PM
TheBrownDragon
|

Woah! I did not know those things were over there, thanks!

Old 05-07-2012 | 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I believe the T is part of the soft line coming down to the axle. Lines going to wheel cylinders should have flare nuts that thread into the T.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Install