2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear diff for 97' 1500 ram truck compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
shaido7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear diff for 97' 1500 ram truck compatibility?

My brother is deaf so I am trying to help him find a rear end for his truck.

He has a 97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 360 hp 4x4 with a 3.55 gear ratio.

Apparently the teeth are broke and my dad says he needs a whole rear end complete. I was told this is called a rear differential. I am clueless about vehicles and engines. I was told he should be able to find a whole rear end for around 200 bux.

I was also told i do not need a 97 rear end but I could use compatible models.
Where would I find out what the compatible models are? Can anyone here tell me or direct me? I found a couple places but they want 425 dollars. I was told this is to much. Does anyone have any suggestions or info that can help me?

Thank You

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Just so you know, its a 360 ci (cubic inch) engine, not a 360 hp (horse power) engine.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

I will move this thread for you to the right spot, get you some help.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shaido7
My brother is deaf so I am trying to help him find a rear end for his truck.

He has a 97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 360 hp 4x4 with a 3.55 gear ratio.

Apparently the teeth are broke and my dad says he needs a whole rear end complete. I was told this is called a rear differential. I am clueless about vehicles and engines. I was told he should be able to find a whole rear end for around 200 bux.

I was also told i do not need a 97 rear end but I could use compatible models.
Where would I find out what the compatible models are? Can anyone here tell me or direct me? I found a couple places but they want 425 dollars. I was told this is to much. Does anyone have any suggestions or info that can help me?

Thank You

I am not sure what years will interchange, but I would think that anywhere form 96 to 2000 would work. There are a couple of things to make sure of. The first is that the differential is the same gear ratio. To verify this, compare a small metal tag that should be bolted to the diff cover. There should be 2 of these. One wil indicate the gera ratio (3.55).

Ehen you found some that were too high, were the from JY (junk yard) or individual? Did you check places like craigslist?

Whate state and area are you in? That effects availability and if a member is in your area, they may have some ideas where to look.

Also, for your brother's future use, there is a free download service manual and parts manual in the FAQ/DIY section. It is a sticky thread. This will be useful on this and other issues in the future as well.

Welcome to DF.

Quick Reply: rear diff for 97' 1500 ram truck compatibility?