2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Thump / Tire Chirp ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Picked the truck up after the alignment. This shop has been doing alignments for 25 years and the owner has his hands in and on every car and truck that they do. Honestly a first rate shop.

Alignment went smooth. Nothing wrong but some cracked bushings. Bearings and joints were all good and he even checked the four wheel drive system that you guys suggested just to be sure.

He suspects a combination of the needed alignment and new shocks. Luckily I have already ordered a set of new shocks and will have them on this next weekend hopefully.

I did not feel the same symptom as I described on the drive home from the shop so he very well may be correct and the bulk of the issue was the need for an alignment. I didn't get the specs but someone put a new link in at some point and maybe didn't re-align it.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Sooper
Captain

I've been driving the truck more lately while I do some much needed work to my 1998 Durango and over the last few days I have heard that chirp a few more times. I can almost feel when it does it too like there's a 'thunk' attached to the chirp.

I waited until there was no traffic and I leaned way out the window and took off normally and waited and sure enough, 'thunk' & chirp...but here's the thing, it came from the left rear.

From inside the cab I wasn't able to pinpoint the source accurately. From outside it's most definitely coming from the rear.

Is that a sign of the posi going out in the rear end?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your wheelbearings?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Have you checked your wheelbearings?

Yes, I checked and they were checked by the shop that performed the inspection. Luckily, and sometimes unluckily, the state is VERY strict with shops that have inspection licenses.

I still have to change out the shocks front and rear, but after hearing the noise from outside the truck I think that rear tire is chirping for some reason when I leave from a stop.

The clunk perplexes me.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Sooper
Captain

Okay I put this one to bed. The chirp was from a front wheel. Seems something was wrong internally under the vacuum connections on the transfer case. When engine load changed on takeoff, the signal was sent to the axle vacuum actuator by the transfer case, and the truck was essentially trying to shift itself into 4x4 every time I accelerated from a stop quickly. It wouldn't engage fully, and retract on it's own, which is when I would hear the chirp.

I realized I fixed it when I swapped transfer cases from NP231 to NP242...which doesn't use a vacuum system to lock the axles. With the front axle constantly locked, there is no more chirp when accelerating from a stop.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You simply had a vac leak. In order to keep the front axle in 2wd, the CAD requires a certain amount of vacuum to keep it there. The CAD motor itself might have been bad or the vac switch on top of the TC was shot. (which will also effect operation of the 231 TC). Doesn't matter though, as you fixed her up and it now works. (of course, you might still have a vac leak ) Congrats anyway on solving the problem. Sort of.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
You simply had a vac leak. In order to keep the front axle in 2wd, the CAD requires a certain amount of vacuum to keep it there. The CAD motor itself might have been bad or the vac switch on top of the TC was shot. (which will also effect operation of the 231 TC). Doesn't matter though, as you fixed her up and it now works. (of course, you might still have a vac leak ) Congrats anyway on solving the problem. Sort of.

I know I still have a vacuum leak because the vents are stick wonky. I have checked the cruise servo connection, and the obvious ones in the engine bay up under the shelf.

I'm going to check in the dash, around the throttle body, and around the intake next. Having a classic Corvette that uses an obscene amount of vacuum accessories, I have come to HATE searching and diagnosing vacuum problems...but eventually I'll get it solved.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I assume you read this thread(not wanting to look back and see if it was given already)

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ild-vents.html

Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
I assume you read this thread(not wanting to look back and see if it was given already)

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ild-vents.html

Yep. I checked the check valves and they are both operating as they should. I even have two spares that I changed out for after testing, neither made a difference. Oh and before it's suggested, the plenum gasket was done not long before I acquired the truck, and I have verified it is not leaking at this point.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Thump / Tire Chirp ???