2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Thump / Tire Chirp ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent Thump / Tire Chirp ???

I was gifted this 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 360 / 4x4 a month or so ago.

Overall it's a great truck and I've been working through some of the smaller issues and fixing things that were broken or breaking. As a result I have been driving it a lot the last few days since fixing the transmission shifting issues.

Since fixing the transmission so it drops into 1st when in 'Drive' it has performed well, but over the last few days of driving I have noticed an intermittent symptom of something I don't quite have a grasp on yet.

From a stop, sometimes, I hear / feel a thunk, from the Left Front, just after starting. A second or less after starting. Sometimes, that thunk, sounds like a chirp from the tire. Again, intermittent, meaning I don't always feel or hear it.

I've been waiting to pass judgement and was starting to think maybe a worn suspension component...until this morning. I had to pull out into traffic, a right turn, rather quickly, and I experienced the same thunk / chirp but this time it was accompanied by that feeling you get when you have four wheel drive engaged and make a tight turn and the joints in the C/V bind a little as the shaft turns.

I double checked the transfer case is in 2H by shifting it into 'N' and then back into 2H.

Is it possible that one or both of the front wheels could be engaging even briefly when the RPMs build or when the shafts start rotating?

I haven't fully investigated yet at this point I am just researching possible places to start looking. It's in for an alignment this morning and they're on watch as well...tomorrow it's going in for an A/C service and inspection...and they will be on watch too.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the CAD collar isn't fully disengaging. Jack up the right (pass) tire and see if it freely spins.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you have it in for alignment and looksee, have them inspect/check the following:

1. ujoints
2. balljoints
3. Track bar joint

Much easier to do on rack, requires some steering turns, etc. I always ask them to show me directly how they know they are good/bad. Put your eyeballs on em, but of course let them know you want to do this unless you are comfy with them.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
could be the CAD collar isn't fully disengaging. Jack up the right (pass) tire and see if it freely spins.

What, if you don't mind me asking, is a CAD collar? I assume part of the four wheel drive engagement.

The issue I seem to be having is on the Left Driver's side...do I still check this CAD collar thing on the Right Passenger side?

Wh1t3NuKle - Hopefully the folks at the alignment shop are doing exactly that. They haven't called yet with problems or questions and they haven't called to say it's done yet either. If they don't find anything perhaps the safety inspection tomorrow will reveal some possibilities.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to the FAQ/DIY forum here and find the thread that contains links to the Factory Service Manual and Parts Manual. The parts manual will get you to find the CAD collar. CAD = Central Axle Disconnect

There are 3 axle shafts: 1 on driver side, 2 on passenger side. Looking at the front axle there is a access plate on the back side. A collar slides b/t the center and passenger side shaft for dis/engaging the passenger side wheel. Disengaged collar means the passenger wheel spins freely.

A shop only does what you tell them to do. They rarely do extra unless you have relationship with them and it is understood. Good luck

Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
A shop only does what you tell them to do. They rarely do extra unless you have relationship with them and it is understood. Good luck

I asked them to.

I will check that out when I get the truck back.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's the info for the CAD, http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/..._engagment.htm

Got a Haynes, and have you bothered to look through the entire FAQ/DIY yet? You will find amongst other valuable info, the free FSM download.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would check your motor mounts

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you need to go get 2 (or 4) BJ's.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I think you need to go get 2 (or 4) BJ's.
And then get back to work on the truck.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Thump / Tire Chirp ???