2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Have fuel and spark but will not start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Deadlymopar408
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have fuel and spark but will not start?

94 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 360. I just recently found out that the oil pump driveshaft had a certain line up to it so I readjusted it and now the truck will not start. The reason I had to readjust it was b/c I blew a head gasket due to preingition denation. So any idea wtf is wrong.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you remove the distributor?
did you mark it and put it back in the exact same place?
if not, you need to set the fuel sync, aka when the injectors fire.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadlymopar408
94 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 360. I just recently found out that the oil pump driveshaft had a certain line up to it so I readjusted it and now the truck will not start. The reason I had to readjust it was b/c I blew a head gasket due to preingition denation. So any idea wtf is wrong.

Something else is missing here. "found out that the oil pump driveshaft had a certain line up..." How does this get "misaligned" when changing head gaskets?

If we know everything that was done it would be easier to figure out.

And + 1 on fuel sync as dhvaughn mentioned.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Deadlymopar408
Rookie

when i was rebuilding it I had no information on that drive piece so when we got it all together it ran like ****. So when I torn it apart again for the 4 time, I decided to do some invesgation on it. So I contacted Bg Performance and the gentle men their had informed me to go to a dealership and ask for the alginment. They printed it off alldata and I made the adjustment and now the truck doesnt want to run. But before the truck start and moved but ran like ****.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Really sounds like a fuel sync issue to me. Can only be set if you have a scanner that can read the data or the dealership can do it. I can't think of anything else that would cause this issue. Especially since the distributor was removed. Why did you have to remove the distributor to replace a head gasket?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Deadlymopar408
Rookie

I removed the distruber due to the fact the DRIVESHAFT for the oil pump had to be put in a certain way. At the time of assembly I had no information on that part. So after blowing 3 sets of head gasket I did more investigating and found that I need to be put in a certain way. so while i had the intake off I set it to its correct position.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Ok, re-read first post. Adjusted due to preignition detonation, ie. pinging. I think your fuel sync is off and that will give you a no start condition. Adjusting the distributor does not affect the timing at all and more than likely won't cure the ping. The most common cause of spark knock on our trucks is a blown plenum gasket and incorrectly routed spark plug wires. Is this the 408 you posted about a few months ago. If so, did you ever get the PCM issue resolved? If not this may be part of the problem as well. Just realized you have multiple threads about similar issues.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...eration-2.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-overflow.html

If you didn't correct this and haven't had the fuel sync reset that is your problem. This must be done or it will never run right if it will even run at all.

Last edited by Ramzy; 05-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds to me like it's 180 out. Dizzy or timing chain. But maybe this will help.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...uel%20Sync.pdf

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Deadlymopar408
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramzy
Ok, re-read first post. Adjusted due to preignition detonation, ie. pinging. I think your fuel sync is off and that will give you a no start condition. Adjusting the distributor does not affect the timing at all and more than likely won't cure the ping. The most common cause of spark knock on our trucks is a blown plenum gasket and incorrectly routed spark plug wires. Is this the 408 you posted about a few months ago. If so, did you ever get the PCM issue resolved? If not this may be part of the problem as well. Just realized you have multiple threads about similar issues.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...eration-2.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-overflow.html

If you didn't correct this and haven't had the fuel sync reset that is your problem. This must be done or it will never run right if it will even run at all.

Yes this is the same 408 I have been having issues with. B&G Performance had told me that the pcm was programed to my specs and if needed how to adjust for retarding the system. I had asked about the oil pump driveshaft and if it needed to be aglin in a certain why, yes and thats why I had the preigintion dentation deal/ pinging problem while acceralting. (pardon spelling)

Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Deadlymopar408
Rookie

That last bit of info was alot of help b/c that is excatly what i'm dealing with far as the scan tool goes this truck is OBD1 so can't really do anything. But the CPU was programmed ahead of time.

Quick Reply: Have fuel and spark but will not start?