2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got truck back from tranny rebuild... vibration under load @ 50mph +

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FL Mike 2500
So finally drove my 'new' truck for more than an hour without the transmission puking its fluid. Truck runs great at about 30mph, accelerates cleanly.

Not trying to stomp on it since the tranny was just rebuilt, but when I had the truck at 50mph and accelerated so that the trans kicked down to pass, the whole truck vibrated through the first few seconds of acceleration, then smoothed back out.

I've done some reading today about vibrations at 50, and alot of people say to check the tires. Well, my tires on the rims are crap, and were going to be replaced tomorrow at 8am. Im just trying to figure out why the vibration is only under acceleration after 50mph. The tranny was just installed Friday from Aamco.

I can try to nurse acceleration out of it, but like I said, putting my foot into it slightly caused the truck to basically cavitate. Since the trans is a fresh rebuild, I did NOT take it over 60.
wow dejavu.... I had this same issue after my transmission rebuild... for me it was a misfire which caused a horrble shudder at about 45-50 mph as soon as the TC locked up in overdrive... when I hit the OD button it almost went away completly.... anyway I found in my case the transmission shop had pried my exhaust aside to squeeze the tranny oout and they cracked one of my headers..so it misfired and sputtered under load..
Another big cause of misfires after tranny service is damage to the crank position sensor located between the engine and tranny. you should get an engine light soon if its either of those..

Anyway if hitting the od button while its shaking does nothing than its not drivetrain related...but rather tires out of balance or ujoints...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 PM
FL Mike 2500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Augie, I'll take a look at that as well for the issue.

Dodgedude, thanks for the clarification

So it stopped raining long enough to do the plenum check per zman's inquiry, and so I removed the air filter housing... found a big surprise:

that's right.... more f'n mouse nest underneath the air filter! If you didn't see my first post on the board for my intro, I had a massive mouse nest in the passenger fender that I removed with a shop vac. Apparently he used the air inlet tube like a tunnel and made himself a nice, warm home.

So got that cleaned out, washed out, and went to check the plenum with my extension magnet per the instructions.

Clang! It's definitely magnetic! So ordered Hughes' kit, and will take care of that next weekend.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Wonder if he was home when the engine started..... that would be a rude surprise....

From the mouses' point of view though, it was a GREAT location. Nothin' gonna get in there to get him. Aside from the loud motor..... and being baked alive... that is......

Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you should have a nice performance boost just from removing the mouse nest.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check yout intake to see if the mouse is lodged in there.

How much seafoam does it take to get mouse off your valve? (Rhetorical question)

Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 AM
FL Mike 2500
Amateur

Been a pretty successful weekend so far.

First, I figured I would try to find out why none of my AC mode switch is working.

Disassembled the entire lower half of the dash, and followed all the vacuum connections. All seemed fine. So I decided to follow the vacuum lines from the intake to the AC system. This is where I found my problem.

Remember that lil mouse nest I posted above? Well, upon close inspection of the vacuum line running INTO the truck for the vent controls, I found the thing is literally full of holes, up the entire length of it! The mouse had been busy and chewed through all those lil vacuum lines in that area, which I am now betting is the cause of my bucking under load at 50mph or so.

So now I have to try to find those black AC vacuum lines which go from the check valve, all the way into my interior. Also found he chewed through the jacket of one of my spark plug wires, and into one wire of my main harness.

F'ing rodents!

So, I guess I have to go to dodge for those lines, and will hopefully have them all back and installed by next weekend. Truck rides amazing with the new 305 50 20's installed all around.

-Mike

Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Just go to the parts store, and get some rubber vacuum line in the correct size. I really don't care for the plastic stuff, gets too brittle over time.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
FL Mike 2500
Amateur

Was actually able to find long enough pieces of vacuum line at Pepboys. Didn't want to spend time reducing sizes and whatnot, so I re-used the undamaged end connectors.

3 pieces of vacuum line off the manifold were chewed/damaged. Luckily, the 3' roll was just enough to re-run. I re-routed the line from the engine bay slightly to where the heater core lines run, because there was a clear shot right behind the dash to where i could route it and not have it resting on anything hot.

The old line was literally chewed all the way up to the firewall. Once I had all the lines in the engine bay corrected and the new piece ran under the dash to the junction, I fired up the engine to make sure I had vacuum, and sure enough, a nice, strong vacuum was present.

It took some struggling, but got the old line off and the new line on. Great news, I now have full control of my vents and an ice cold AC.

Im going to put the truck on the highway now to see if the sputter is gone as well. Im hoping it was all just vacuum related. Here is the smallest piece I pulled out:

Quick Reply: Got truck back from tranny rebuild... vibration under load @ 50mph +