2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radiator drain fitting will not seal!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator drain fitting will not seal!

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with the radiator drain fitting on the drivers side of the rad....the little plastic pet **** thet rotates 1 full torn and allows coolant to drain out the little spigot on the bottom of the fitting.

I changed my sons thermostat and flushed the coolant and now cannot get that plastic pet **** to seal again. Tried back blowing some air through it, got it good and hot hoping the orings might find their "home "again. No luck! Will not stop leaking. Leak varies from a drip to a steady piddle.

Is there a way to remove the little petcock portion oif the drain valve and put new orings on it? I am assuming it uses o-rings.

Any advice most appreciated as son needs it for work in the morning.

I have seen them drip before but it always stopped after a brief drive. This time.....no luck????

Thank you.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie

Hello ,

I found a previous thread that vaguely suggested using lube on the pet **** o-rings. Question is ....... how do you remove the plastic petcock without damaging it or the housing? Everything is plastic and I am not sure how it comes apart.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the petcock thing is removable.
turn it about 1/4 turn counter-clockwise (this is the drain position)
then pull out (towards rear of truck),
then turn another 1/4 turn counter clockwise while pulling out.

it has 1 or 2 o-rings that you can replace.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie

Thank you DV! You rock! it came out just as you described. I was nervous of pulling it out thinking something would crack. This had 1 o-ring and it was in two pieces. Almost looks like it has two grooves for o-rings. I will consult the local shops early in the morning after driving my son to work.

Thanks again. some of you are so experienced and willing to share!

Quick Reply: Radiator drain fitting will not seal!