2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diffrent sized tires for spare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diffrent sized tires for spare?

So this dosnt seem like the best thing to do but can it work?Here's all the info Ok been doing alot of work on my truck,did the plenum&all that stuff awhile back&went ahead&did plugs wires etc.Now just did the bodywork&painted her,did new shocks&some suspension stuff also a leveling kit&now doing a body lift&putting my 35s on.So I still have stock gears&I dont wanna run around to much to I get em upgraded which should be soon,I put about 50 miles on my truck every week&a half to two.Im looking for a wheel to fit a spare but intill I find one if something ended up happening&I lut my 265/75/16 on for a spare while running my 35.12.50 15s just ro get me home what do I have to worry about&would it be better to haul around 2 of em&if 1 has a issue just pull 2 of em&run 2 of the 265s upfront?I may be able to find what I need before hand its just a incase thing.I sprayed the truck with 8 coats of ss metallic&getting ready to go ahead&hit a few more things&possible pull the interior&do a swap with new carpets&seats while Im waiting on gears anyway we shall see.What do you think?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can use a different sized spare tire as long as you DONT have a spool in the diff, or welded up spider gears,

AND

as long as you don't use the spare while in 4wd on pavement.

the different size tire will work fine with normal spider gears in an open or LSD differential. but, since there is no center diff between the front and rear, the spare would cause a lot of hopping between the front and rear. that'd be ok on dirt but not on pavement. you should never use our part time 4wd on dry pavement anyway....

Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I wouldn't even run different size tires on the same axle with an LSD..... that's gotta be hard on the clutches..

Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check out craigslist and see if you could find a 35 even if it was really worn, it would be better then a 265/75. And if it is really worn it should be really cheap.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check with some of the used tire dealers as well.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Don't run a 265 as a spare for 35" . Just go to a tire shop and ask for an old worn out 35" . I got mine free as they have to pay to recycle them .

Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacmanloads
Don't run a 265 as a spare for 35" . Just go to a tire shop and ask for an old worn out 35" . I got mine free as they have to pay to recycle them .
Where do you put the 35" spare? I wasn't able to fit anything larger than a 265 up into the spare tire carrying cavity. And that was only after I rerouted the exhaust to dump in front of the passenger tire instead of behind it.

I'd carry a 35" spare but it has to ride out of the way somewhere like where the oem spare goes.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gonna have to manufacture a spot to put it..... some flavor of receiver mount carrier would work, could even put it on the front....

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

I live out in the boonies nearest anything is about 13 miles away&city is 63 so there's few tire shops,but I did call around a week or so ago&couldn't find none.The problem is more so finding a cheap rim.If I cant find a cheap one before long Im just gonna order another new one&new wheel.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gonna have to manufacture a spot to put it..... some flavor of receiver mount carrier would work, could even put it on the front....
Front is about all I have left it seems. Do you think it would block cooling or flow up there on front bumper all 35" and all?

The roof of the camper is wide open as well but man that really goes against a philosophy of trying to keep loading center of gravity down on an already top heavy vehicle..

The oem location is just so perfect. but a 315 just isn't going to fit between the frame rails. I just noticed that my current spare is actually a 285 and fits...barely with previously mentioned rerouted exhaust.

Edit. Maybe I could find a spoked wheel for a front bumper spare to minimize impedance to air flow.

Last edited by Ugly1; 05-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Diffrent sized tires for spare?