2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I'm showing about 9.75" from top of valley to to top of throttle body. Camera angle is looking down a little, so it shows closer to 10".

Edit:
Yours doesn't look as tall seeing the rest of the hardware on the front, so you're probably fine. It just looked really tall from the front with nothing else there.
Thanks for that measurement it gives me a place to start with. I'll tell you this much, anything to do with Dodge 6 Pack air cleaner parts are expensive. A air filter is over $100 which is just crazy. While it might be COOL to have a TRUE shaker air scoop sticking thru the hood I don't think it'd fit well. Those old Dodge hoods were larger than a country mile.

I'll set it back on the block today and see how it compares against the accessories now that they are mounted.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:46 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

It was a good thing that I decided to trial fit the intake before it was in the Jeep. Now I've got all kinds of room with the front fenders & grill off but I'd still rather so this kind of stuff on the engine stand. Since this is a modified LA model intake I should have known there might be clearance/interference issues. I guess it's a GOOD thing I don't have my A/C hooked up and hadn't planned on going thru the hassles of trying to reinstall it either.

The thermostat housing was hitting the Alternator-A/C bracket. So I pulled it back off and did a little cutting to make it fit. I don't think I could run a A/C compressor as it would hit the thermostat neck.

It's a little tight in there.

So I trimmed the bracket but left 3 of the mounting tabs incase I decide to run the A/C delete pulley.

Frankie post pictures of his TB height for me so here are my measurements.

So looking at this I think the 6-Pack actually has a lower height than the stock kegger & TB.

I don't think I'll have any issues with this fitting under the hood of the Jeep.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
It was a good thing that I decided to trial fit the intake before it was in the Jeep. Now I've got all kinds of room with the front fenders & grill off but I'd still rather so this kind of stuff on the engine stand. Since this is a modified LA model intake I should have known there might be clearance/interference issues. I guess it's a GOOD thing I don't have my A/C hooked up and hadn't planned on going thru the hassles of trying to reinstall it either.

The thermostat housing was hitting the Alternator-A/C bracket. So I pulled it back off and did a little cutting to make it fit. I don't think I could run a A/C compressor as it would hit the thermostat neck.

It's a little tight in there.

So I trimmed the bracket but left 3 of the mounting tabs incase I decide to run the A/C delete pulley.

Frankie post pictures of his TB height for me so here are my measurements.

So looking at this I think the 6-Pack actually has a lower height than the stock kegger & TB.

I don't think I'll have any issues with this fitting under the hood of the Jeep.

Glad you posted this because I thought about getting that intake but I like my AC more lol

The following users liked this post:
Wildman4x4nut (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 09:44 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Glad you posted this because I thought about getting that intake but I like my AC more lol
With an open top vehicle IMO there isn't much use for A/C. Yes it'd be nice to have but isn't essential like it would be in a closed cab vehicle like your truck.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:16 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
With an open top vehicle IMO there isn't much use for A/C. Yes it'd be nice to have but isn't essential like it would be in a closed cab vehicle like your truck.
Oh yeah, I hear you. I forget that the Jeeps are basically like convertibles. Lol. I just wish it would have fit better. The only way I could see around t is if you were to make a new thermostat housing

Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad that's going to work. It's 1.5" shorter than the airgap I'm running (picture of your measurement by the distributor, less the flange thickness).
I'm also glad you found the A/C clearance issue early. I've seen modifications on Pirate 4x4 where they just clearance the bottom of the A/C bracket to fit around the t-stat housing, but I've never seen a follow-up after it was put together that I can recall.

Looking better all the time. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

I'll get you a picture of the thermostat neck around the alt-A/C bracket today. One thing you have to remember is that the manifold is for a 1992 or earlier LA 360's so the housing & neck are LARGER than the Magnum 360. The thermostat neck is smaller on the Magnum compared to the LA engine. I'll do a side by side picture of the two.

The following users liked this post:
frankie_b_jr (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:01 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Everything is back mounted and ready to go. I'll get some pictures today of how it all fits.

Just a different angle.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Here is a LA thermostat neck compared to a Magnum thermostat neck. You can see the LA neck is a little larger than the Magnum neck.

So there isn't anyway for you to be able to use the Magnum neck on a LA intake.

Got the serpentine belt on today. Just waiting on parts to arrive now.

One thing that many people do when swapping the Magnum V-8 into their TJ is to use the ZJ (Grand Cherokee 93-98) power steering pump bracket which moves the pump in a lot closer to the block.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 02-02-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:26 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Today and tomorrow I won't get much time to work on the rig because I have Dr's. appointments . Came home today to a box on my the steps that was from Summit Racing. The pushrods and some rubber gloves came in with the pushrods. I'm not a fan of rubber glove while working but I've got to do the roller rockers which have been soaking in oil now for a few weeks now so they should be good. Once I get the pudsrods and rockers done I have front bearings to pack.

The Trick Flow pushrods are here so Friday I can get the pushrods and rocker arms installed. Then take them down to Zero lash and a half turn more.

Nicely packaged.

And then the gloves I'd bought.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.