2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 2500 8.0 Ltr

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Vintage Metal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dodge Ram 2500 8.0 Ltr

Hello all. Im new to these forums but not new to the Chrysler family.

I have a 07 Chrysler 300 and love it. I sold my small truck and im looking to get into a larger truck with a little power that I can use around town and towing old cars.

I have my eye on a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT with a V-10, 132k miles.

I dont know much about the V-10 and any issues that maybe come of it. The purpose of this thread is to get your opinions on the truck, typical issues I should look for and any other information that could help me in my purchase.

I do know it has a few guages not working: Gas and Speedo. Truck has a new timing belt and starter. I hope the bad guages are an easy fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and I look forward to joining the family and making a contribution here.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Dodge Forum! We are awesome here, so you will probably like us.

The v10's are stump pulling torque monsters that will pass everything but a gas station. Thay don't have much aftermarket support compared with the magnum v8's and Cummins, but parts are out there. Have fun, and good luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Vintage Metal
Talking

I was afraid of that. I am not looking to modify any of the engine but maybe the suspension later down the road.

I dont want to get into a truck that isnt supported as much as the other Rams.

I prefer to pick something up in the 1994-2001 year(s) range. If the 2500 isnt a way to go, what is the best year/model with gas engine that I should look for?

Thanks again...im sure im asking 'typical' questions (as I have been on many forums before), I thank you for your time and advice!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Vintage Metal
I was afraid of that. I am not looking to modify any of the engine but maybe the suspension later down the road.

I dont want to get into a truck that isnt supported as much as the other Rams.

I prefer to pick something up in the 1994-2001 year(s) range. If the 2500 isnt a way to go, what is the best year/model with gas engine that I should look for?

Thanks again...im sure im asking 'typical' questions (as I have been on many forums before), I thank you for your time and advice!
Other than the engine, there are a ton of suspension mods for the 2500. So if you're happy with the engine stock, you can go nuts on the suspension.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
mccart
Veteran

That truck will pull anything you put behind it

Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
billcart
Professional

That's a great motor. I wish I still had my 98

Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea vin metal i was talking specifically about the motor. There are suspensions out the gizzard for these trucks, axle and tranny upgrades too since other than the motor the v10s are identical to a cummins. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a v10

Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

If you are planning to use the truck occasionally and want/need the power then a V10 is a good pick. As stated, they are thirsty damn things and you will want to find one that has been properly maintained.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2500 8.0 Ltr