2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Bus error msg, truck runs, no guages working

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Bus error msg, truck runs, no guages working

I had 'no bus' error message on the cluster this weekend, no guages working, not logging mileage, but truck runs fine.
Never seen this before, my truck has 168K miles now. I had stopped for fuel and when I started the truck it had 'no bus' in the cluster and the cel, abs, and others illuminated. Also 'CCD' in the overhead display.

I did a search on google and found some help here on this message board
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_...ter_on_a_Dodge

Evidently any bad sensor can cause the fault and pull down the entire comm system.
After spending a few hours unplugging sensors and checking fuses, I checked the large plug with a single screw in the middle of it - in the dist block under the hood. I noticed it will easily strip when it's tightened down, even though it's never been touched from the factory. This is common on our trucks. I removed the plug and sprayed with electronic cleaner, and retightened to the point just before the screw would break loose from being stripped. I also removed the ecm plugs and sprayed them out too. That did the trick. I'm sure it was the plug in the dist block, as I had unplugged the ecm wires several times prior pushing and pulling on them to see if there was a short or bad connection.

Glad this was resolved easily, these electronic issues scare the hell out of me. I was thinking ecm or cluster replacement which can be very expensive. The only thing this repair cost me was a few hours.

Nice to be rolling in the truck again!

Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 PM
sluggo2112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got in my truck yesterday and no gauges and the no bus error on the odometer but the truck did start. I pushed the parking brake down (not that it matters) and then made sure the connections around it (behind where you connect the code tester) were solid. I think the white main connector box behind it was loose. Tried it again and no bus error ever since. So definitely try your connections before taking it to the dealer. That would have cost me some money there.

Quick Reply: No Bus error msg, truck runs, no guages working