2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Been a while...warm-up/idle confussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been a while...warm-up/idle confussion

Haven't had many problems with the rust bucket, but then I don't drive it daily when there is no snow on the ground....now it's a daily driver.

Lately (starting a few months back) the truck has needed two cranking sessions to start. Used to start on about the 3rd turn over. Now I give it 4, stop and two more and it starts right up. If it's been running a bit it will backfire or 'feel' like the timing is off and then start and run just fine.

Next issue. On these -1 deg mornings, it will start like above, let it warm up and it will struggle and then die after the coolant warms up to around 140/150. As soon as I get above that point it runs fine. If I've started driving before this warm up range it will die when I stop.

Any thoughts? Choke?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

There is no choke.

Check fuel pressure first. See what that looks like. Sounds like the drain-back valve has failed..... You can replace just the regulator portion of the assembly, but, it is almost as much as replacing the whole thing...... which is actually a better idea.

I would also be tempted to yank the throttle body, and clean it thoroughly. Not sure if it is a contributor to your problem... but, it sure wouldn't hurt.

Have you fixed your plenum yet? Vacuum leak would also give you some odd symptoms.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Flue
Veteran

Fixing the Plenum......is on my list.

Tromping through the woods, fields and streams and how renovations get in the way of auto-wanna's .

Thanks, I'll look into the drain back next couple of days.

Might explain why it starts right up once in a while, after a few hours of sitting. Come out to go to lunch one day and starts the first crank...next 5 days it won't.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Flue
Veteran

Mr. HeyYou....would that also account for a drop in rpm when the clutch is depressed? Once things get warmed up, coming up to a stop and using the clutch will let the rpms 'bounce' below 600 it will stall.

Quick Reply: Been a while...warm-up/idle confussion