2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New y pipe please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
dnfd737
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New y pipe please

Where can I find a new better y pipe to go with shorty headers?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

I've heard nothing but great things about the JEGS offroad Y pipe. BUT it doesn't have a Cat so if you need to pass inspection this may not work for you.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...d=#moreDetails

Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search. Summit/jegs "off road" y-pipe or magnaflow makes a nice one.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 AM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by BamaRam97
I've heard nothing but great things about the JEGS offroad Y pipe. BUT it doesn't have a Cat so if you need to pass inspection this may not work for you.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...d=#moreDetails
weld in the cat (feds mandate cats gotta be welded now) a bit behind the factory location, space permitted, and you'll actually help scavenging (often incorrectly confused with 'good' back pressure, which there is nothing good about back pressure ever)...

the cats get hotter than the exhaust that passes through them.. just when that pulse starts to slow due to cooling/getting denser, the cat warms it back up which promotes it passing through quicker.. a foot to a foot and a half further back is a good thing.. further than that is more of an obstruction.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM
dnfd737
Veteran

is this a direct bolt in, that pic does not look like my pipe at all, is it any diffrent than the factory one minus the cat?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

For your truck, should be a direct bolt in. You should have the DI/SO cat?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Originally Posted by drewactual
weld in the cat (feds mandate cats gotta be welded now) a bit behind the factory location, space permitted, and you'll actually help scavenging (often incorrectly confused with 'good' back pressure, which there is nothing good about back pressure ever)...

the cats get hotter than the exhaust that passes through them.. just when that pulse starts to slow due to cooling/getting denser, the cat warms it back up which promotes it passing through quicker.. a foot to a foot and a half further back is a good thing.. further than that is more of an obstruction.
I haz the confuse ... So having a cat is better than a straight pipe? I thought less obstruction, read no cat, just straight pipes would make for the path of least resitance. Which would in turn mean less back pressure and better MPG and power and less wear on the engine. But I totally agree it is probably illegal but so are illegal immigrants.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

OOooo, are the catless folks going to be offered amnesty as well?????

Straight pipe would flow better. Yup.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
OOooo, are the catless folks going to be offered amnesty as well?????

Straight pipe would flow better. Yup.
It seems everyone else has been so far

Old 06-15-2012, 11:51 AM
drewactual
Champion

a good high flow cat increases scavenging.. yes, it creates a barrier, but it is also beneficial to flow in that it heats things back up a bit..

having no cat is better.. having a good high flow cat in the right spot almost adds enough to make up for what it takes away.. an oe cat doesn't add near enough to make up for it's obstruction.. kinda hard to follow, no? If you're being inspected, and have to have a cat present, a high flow in the right spot is almost a push in terms of performance..

edited to add: unless you're talking about an engine fully built for performance.. that is a different ball game.. i'd venture a guess our rigs are everyday drivers or work trucks.. the stock exhaust, less the STUPID OE Y pipe, is up for the task for most of us in terms of flow.. port heads? you got a different game going on than most, and will need the flow..

Last edited by drewactual; 06-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: New y pipe please