2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID and a 01 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crackajack92
from the HIDs ive always installed it went from 6k which is bright white 8k which is a little blue and bright white, 10k pure blue, then 12k pure purple. if you get 8 or 10k go with the 55watt to brighten it up. but if you are goin with 6k then 35watt will be ok. and make sure they are the slim ballasts not big bulky ones. i always go with 8k 35watt and i love it. but they do lack a little visibility but enhances the reflectors on the road or road signs they pretty much glow at you.
your experience is opposite of mine..The slim 35w ballasts I have are poor compared to the two sets of thicker ones I have and the color varies from manufacturer but most of the bulbs on ebay are from the same two places in china so.... oem is rated at 43 to 5,000k.... this is documented in many online documents and studies....6k is supposed to be a hint of blue but many are more than a hint and 8k is blue... 10k is usless deep blue and 12k is purple.... you can see this in the color charts from places selling them...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM
jmopar20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah my 8K is straight up blue, but he is right, road signs definitely glow at you when you come up on them as do the signs on the backs of amish buggies which are really bad out where I live. i replaced my fog lights with 5000K and they are really bright, when I replace the old and weathered housings they will probably be bright enough to use at night on their own. can't remember which threads I used on this forum but from them I understood which wires to look for when I had to do the swap to get the headlights to work, you will definitely have to do that when you do the install

Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 AM
bent-fender
Rookie

Ok guys I am going to go tomorrow and get me my first ever HID kit. Ive took what ya'll said into consideration. I am confused on one thing thought, One of you guys was saying that you had to rewire part of the kit? Whats is that about? Also next payday I will be adding a heater core and new "smoked' lenses.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
bent-fender
Rookie

Ok went and got my HID kit today, then the radiator busted, stupid dodge.

Anyhow, they are in and installed. The kit says HID Xeon light conversion kit 9004 high/lo model, they was out of the just lo models, and it is the 6000k cool temp kit. Everything pluged right up and fit together right, but the bright light indicator on the dash stays on, WHY? Is that normal?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bent-fender
Ok went and got my HID kit today, then the radiator busted, stupid dodge.

Anyhow, they are in and installed. The kit says HID Xeon light conversion kit 9004 high/lo model, they was out of the just lo models, and it is the 6000k cool temp kit. Everything pluged right up and fit together right, but the bright light indicator on the dash stays on, WHY? Is that normal?

Are you using a Bi-Xenon relay harness?
The relay harness may be wired as a 9007 instead of 9004, they all seem to come that way regardless the kit says it's a 9004. The low beam and ground wires need to be switched. Slide a small screwdriver in the plug to release the wires and rewire as shown. Check with a multimeter to prevent damage to the circuits and wiring.
Name:  90049007.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by beeker; 06-25-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM
bent-fender
Rookie

Originally Posted by beeker
Are you using a Bi-Xenon relay harness?
UMMMMM I do not know, I will get a pic before work tonight if I remember.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:45 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bent-fender
UMMMMM I do not know, I will get a pic before work tonight if I remember.
You can tell if it is Bi-Xenon harness if it has the extra plugs to the bulb, to switch high/low beam

Last edited by beeker; 06-26-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Ryandodge2
Professional

I ordered my HIDs from ddmtuning.com, they are really good quality, i got the 10000k and they are really bright!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 AM
bent-fender
Rookie

Mine look like this. Only mine is the bright white

Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
pazzo
Default help please

I have searched everywhere and can find nothing.

I have a 2001 ram 1500 NON-SPORT with the magnum 5.9.
I installed the 9004 BI-XENON HI/LOW XTREME hid kit from hid depot (kbcarstuff.com) with the relays. I did not install the resistors because i never had the blinking problem like i had on my 2004 ram 1500. The problem is that the headlights are always in bright and never switch to low beam. the high light indicator on the dash is always lit and gets slightly dimmer if i switch to low beams. the headlights themselves do not flicker or change brightnness at all, THEY ARE STUCK IN BRIGHT IT SEEMS

I did not look at the wire colors I just pluged/installed everything in. Do you think I need to switch the ground and low wires on both plugs on the hid kit side to resolve this?

I am hoping someone else may have had this problem, maybe i need to install the resistors to fix this but i thought it was for the blinking problem. somone also told me i may have reverse polarity and have to cut and swap the high and low beam wires at the stock headlight connector, but to me this does not make sense. thank you