2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Musical Chairs - Seat Swapping.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Musical Chairs - Seat Swapping.

1998 1500 Club Cab

I have the dark grey cloth interior with the 40/20/40 bench...not even sure if that's the correct split.

Amazingly the driver's side seat bolster by the door is not torn but it is worn and the foam is slightly broken down. I can feel I am leaning a little to the outside when I drive. LOL.

The passenger seat is amazingly free of wear since it's rarely ever even had a passenger.

I'm wanting to swap the seats from driver to passenger. They seem to have the same overall symmetrical shape and I see that the materials differ a tad in the rear notches but the shape is the same.

Anyone see an issue with me removing the seats, and swapping the bottoms from side to side?

I think this would give me a nicely bolstered driver's seat and since mine isn't torn, it wouldn't look bad on the passenger side. Seems swapping the seats would be easier than having the foam replaced.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Sooper; 06-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
tmacie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you cant swap the actual seats, how about swapping the foam? Its not too hard to do. The cover is just held in by plastic channel on the bottom of the seat.

Travis

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Seems like i have heard several people on this site swapping seat bottoms from pass to driver side. Im sure someone who has done it will chime in. Or try a search

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently sitting on the pass side seat bottom in my 99 Ram. The driver side seat bottom is in New York...getting the same issue fixed.

The only thing is the inside (toward console) is vinyl and teh outer edge is fabric. But not very noticeqable, and no one will know if you don't tell them.

Just 4 bolts in the seat bottom. Go for it...

Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to muscle two of the bolts into the holes on my sisters 99 because the holes on the seat frames don't line up with the threaded holes that are on the seat cushion. The other two holes were where they needed to be, just not threaded so the bolts made some threads on their way in. Then again, her driver seat is electric, that might be why they didn't match up. It might take 5 minutes per side and it's worth it.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Sooper
Captain

Sweet, that's great news. Both are manual so they should bolt right up.

The other thing I am thinking of doing is removing the center seat. I don't use the arm rest or store anything in it. It's just wasting space. Looks like the tracks and brackets are separate so removal should be simple even if just to see if I like it better removed.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Sooper
Captain

Just took five minutes. I park right out back where I work so I grabbed a ratchet and a #10 socket and went at it. About 2.5 minutes to remove both seat bottoms, thirty seconds to beat the dust out of the passenger seat, and two minutes to bolt them both back in. Totally simple and no one knows but me and you guys. LOL.

The center section is actually riveted to the seat frame but I could easily cut them apart and see if I like it and bolt them back together if I do not.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 PM
welder123

hi I was thinking about swapping my seats around because the drivers side is torn but I don't know what to do with the lumber support will it now be on the inside toward the seat. I have a 1994 ram 1500 manual seats reg cab.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by welder123
hi I was thinking about swapping my seats around because the drivers side is torn but I don't know what to do with the lumber support will it now be on the inside toward the seat. I have a 1994 ram 1500 manual seats reg cab.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

The lumbar support is on the seat back, not the seat cushion. I'm not sure about that process since what I outlined was for seat bottoms only.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1... You cant swap the back of the seat. Only the *** cushion can be swapped.

Quick Reply: Musical Chairs - Seat Swapping.