2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

antifreeze leak on serpentine belt..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
2000ramsport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antifreeze leak on serpentine belt..

changing my tps today I found an antifreeze coolant leak on the my serpentine belt.its on the top of the belt where the 2 right pullyes are and the bottom of the belt that faces the ground.does this sound like the water pump?and will the coolant on the serpentine belt cause it to come off i hope not.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

The water pump has a weep hole on it, when the seal fails coolant leaks out this hole (and probably onto your belt)... Also check for cracks in the overflow, radiator, hoses, etc.

The coolant on the belt will not make it come off, however I believe squeaking/chirping will result if the antifreeze soaks into it, or gets onto the pulleys. Find the leak, fix the problem, replace belt if squeaking starts.

If you actually are leaking coolant out the weep hole, you have to replace it. Also might be a good idea to inspect the fan/clutch for any play since water pump failure can have adverse affects on the fan clutch and vice versa. My water pump was starting to fail and the fan clutch has no play, so it doesn't happen in every case.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 06-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

engine off and cooled down some, run your hand under and behind the water pump pulley. if its wet, then its leaking around the seal and requires replacement. and it only gets worse, never better. also grab hold of the water pump pulley with both hands and try to wiggle it. any movement indicates loose bearing and seal.

as said, the antifreeze will saturate the belt and cause it to squeak, but it won't cause it to come off.

if you do replace the water pump, its an excellent time to replace plenum and timing chain.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
2000ramsport
Professional

thanks I will check it out later today when the rain stops.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a confounding leak that led me to a new water pump... after getting the accessory bracket off I discovered that it was a weeping heater hose, letting the coolant out at that one spot that you cannot see with the accessories and bracket in place. The water pump was fine, but factory original so I happily swapped it out anyway.

Quick Reply: antifreeze leak on serpentine belt..