2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hmmm transmission years, and electronics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmm transmission years, and electronics.

well, i just got off the phone with martin saine, to get a price on a HD trans for my truck.

he says that i need to get an '01 case because 01-03 transmissions are year specific, and have electronic gear readouts on the dash.

my truck is an 01 with a 98 trans, and i have a standard dash readout for the gears. so whos correct, me or him?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The only thing that changed internally in the transmission from 94-01 are how many electronics are in there..... 94-95 is only TCC, and O/D. 96-01 governor pressure sensor and solenoid got added. There are some minor differences in the governor body assembly from 96-01 (and maybe later, not sure.....) and pinouts for the sensors/solenoids, but, slap the correct electronics into any 96 or later trans, and it will work just fine.

In 98, the PRNDL went from mechanical, to electronic. Still controlled the exact same way. Position of the gear shift lever. The trans itself has zero affect.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just get one from here:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Or is that Martin Saine?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The only thing that changed internally in the transmission from 94-01 are how many electronics are in there..... 94-95 is only TCC, and O/D. 96-01 governor pressure sensor and solenoid got added. There are some minor differences in the governor body assembly from 96-01 (and maybe later, not sure.....) and pinouts for the sensors/solenoids, but, slap the correct electronics into any 96 or later trans, and it will work just fine.

In 98, the PRNDL went from mechanical, to electronic. Still controlled the exact same way. Position of the gear shift lever. The trans itself has zero affect.
thanks heyyou, you are the man! the guy tried to tell me that the dash was no longer mechanical, and required a special connector on the trans to operate it. i know that wasnt the case because my 98 trans bolted up, and was a complete plug and play with all my 01 stuff, minus the overdrive stuff.

Originally Posted by stewie01
Why not just get one from here:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Or is that Martin Saine?
martin saine can get me a completely rebuilt hd trans shipped to my door for 2400. 350 for special bearings added into a certain spot for extra support for plowing if i want it, and 275 for him to supply a transmission case.

so i can get everything for 3025 shipped, and it can/will handle up to 700hp. he also says that with his transmissions, i would be able to tow with o/d ON!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
.......In 98, the PRNDL went from mechanical, to electronic. Still controlled the exact same way. Position of the gear shift lever. The trans itself has zero affect.

HeyYou, can you explain this? The only electrical I have in my 99 is the TCC and OD as well as gov sensor and solenoid. Gera selection is mechanicl via rooster comb on VB. Am I missing something?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
HeyYou, can you explain this? The only electrical I have in my 99 is the TCC and OD as well as gov sensor and solenoid. Gera selection is mechanicl via rooster comb on VB. Am I missing something?
according to martin, the 01-03 transmissions the gear selection is all electric(would look like the 98-01 odometers) and says my 98 transmission shouldnt have worked in my 01 because of the 00, and below transmissions have a mechanical gear selection.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
On my 96, the funny little cable that goes to the steering column shift linkage acts directly on a little indicator, (orange) that slides up and down to indicate what gear you are in. It is all Purely mechanical. No electronic components at all.

On the 98 and up, there is still the cute little cable attached to the column shift linkage, but, it just moves an electrical contact, or some such, to turn on the right light to indicate gear selection. I couldn't find the actual wiring schematics in the FSM for this, but, I DID find that there is still the little cable feller on the column.

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
according to martin, the 01-03 transmissions the gear selection is all electric(would look like the 98-01 odometers) and says my 98 transmission shouldnt have worked in my 01 because of the 00, and below transmissions have a mechanical gear selection.
All of the 2nd gen shift linkages are purely mechanical. Shift POINTS are controlled electronically on the 96 and up transmissions, via the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. All of them have electronic control of O/D, and TCC. The ONLY difference between the 98 trans, and the 01 trans, is the pinout on the electrical connector. (and, I think, the part of the valve body that the governor stuff bolts too) Everything else works exactly the same way.

Quick Reply: hmmm transmission years, and electronics.