2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I hate oil leaks&what is this called?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate oil leaks&what is this called?

Ok so I noticed I had a small oil leak so degreassed&cleaned everything up real good&saw oil leaking from the bottom hose that goes into power steering pump& looks like its coming from where it screws in.Figure Ill trybto tighten tomorrow also on pass side front axle theres some kind of vacumm actuator with a plate that bolts to axle &looks like it just bolts on&there's a seal there that has a small leak...what is it&how do I fix it?Any ideas id appreciate it

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Thats the CAD... they are pretty simple to remove. If your unsure just do a quick search and i think theres a link about removal on here somewhere

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

CAD is only held on by four bolts. Keep in mind, they like to break.....

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

So does the fad leak motor oil?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
dlyter09
Champion

No. If your seeing motor oil its coming from the motor. Take a close look at the pan and valve covers for any leaks

Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Thats the CAD... they are pretty simple to remove. If your unsure just do a quick search and i think theres a link about removal on here somewhere
Can't find it

Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM
dlyter09
Champion

If its motor oil your seeing it isnt coming from the cad. Like HeyYou said its the matter of 4 bolts to remove it. If you are going to attempt to remove it I would be soaking the bolts in some sort of chemicals for a day or 2

Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 AM
DK-v1
Professional

If your power steering hose is leaking (especially the high pressure hose), it will literally spray fluid everywhere.

Get someone to turn the steering wheel all the way to one side while you look to see where the fluid is actually coming out at. Once you fix that, then go after the 'oil' leak.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

sorry been busy,anyways I plan on getting to this Saturday or Sunday,anyways when I do the fad does anything pull out with it when I undo the 4 bolts?Can't find much on it&tip you guys were right about bolts wanting to break.I called shop to see about them doing it&they said we just did one&had two bolts break!Also do I need to add any fluid when I do it?The leak is a pretty good one

Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
billcart
Professional

It's not a fad it's CAD = Center Axle Disconnect. Go to the dealership and get the cad servo and it has a new gasket, bots and clips for the fork. The part will cost around 185. A much better price than the shop would charge you. Download the service manual from the DIY section for your year. Just a piece of advice though, if you do break a bolt taking it out take the rest out, pry off the cover little by little on all sides until it comes out. Get a good pair of vice grips and clamp down on those broken bolts and they should come out no problem.

Quick Reply: I hate oil leaks&what is this called?