2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge v10 crank but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
snocross2xtremes
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dodge v10 crank but no start. "no fuel pressure, no spark"

1998 2500 V10

Just got the truck. The last owner said he thought the fuel pump was bad...

so i first checked for power down at the pump.. nothing. so i then went and check the relay and it did not seem to be doing anything.. so i jump the relay and the pump kicked on. so i thought bad relay? changed the relay pump still does not come on??

now that the relay is jumped (60 psi of fuel pressure) i wanted to see if it would start? still no start? check for spark.. no spark??

I check for codes and nothing came up?

Im lost on where to go next on this thing?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by snocross2xtremes; 07-13-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

All the fuses good?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
snocross2xtremes
Amateur

Yes fuses are good

Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanOneSeven
All the fuses good?

+1 on checking all fuses. Mine is NOT a v10, but there are some things that are basic electrical. To begin, if changing relay does not make a change, then relay is not likely to be the issue. if jumping the realy works, then the control circuit to the realy is not working. My guess is that wahtever has to make in the conrtol circuit BEFORE it closes the realy may ALSO have something to do with the fact that it still does not start.

Go to the FAQ/DIY section and download the FSM. Look at the electrical diagrams and find the fuel pump cirtucit, the realy, and then trace from there to see what could inhibit START and fuel pump ON.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The fuel pump is shut down after about 2 seconds without the engine started then put into stand by mode. So stating that I would push into actually if power is at the pump in the short time, then go to a cam shaft sensor.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
snocross2xtremes
Amateur

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The fuel pump is shut down after about 2 seconds without the engine started then put into stand by mode. So stating that I would push into actually if power is at the pump in the short time, then go to a cam shaft sensor.
Yup that's kinda what iv been reading..

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
snocross2xtremes
Amateur

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I think i miss read what you posted.

there is no power at the pump when you turn the key on. but i can jump 12 volt at the relay and the pump will come on. so i change the relay with a know good working one and still no power at the pump with the key on.

im kinda thinking it could be the auto shut relay? or what ever controls a auto shut down?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

In order for the fuel pump to work on ignition, both the ASD and fuel pump relay must have battery voltage. If both relays are good, and you say all the fuses are good, then you have to check the wiring and connectors to the fuse panel.

If all checks out okay. Then you've got something else entirely going on.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock;2815595...... To begin, if changing relay does not make a change, then relay is not likely to be the issue. if jumping the realy works, then the control circuit to the realy is not working. My guess is that [B
whatever has to make in the conrtol circuit BEFORE it closes the realy[/b] may ALSO have something to do with the fact that it still does not start.

Go to the FAQ/DIY section and download the FSM. Look at the electrical diagrams and find the fuel pump cirtucit, the realy, and then trace from there to see what could inhibit START and fuel pump ON.

How about this idea?

EDIT: OK. Just downloaded FSM on this computer (it is always on the one that I am NOT using...).

Check connector 3 pin 19 on PCM and see if it is switching state. The only other thing in the control circuit appears to be the ignition switch.

Last edited by gdstock; 07-04-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 AM
snocross2xtremes
Amateur

K will do today

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge v10 crank but no start.