2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to test factory alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012 | 01:57 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

My truck didn't come with the FOB's either, but I did manage to score a couple on ebay for cheap. Programing them is easy.

The alarm in my truck works, though I'm not sure if it works properly. It arms like the manual says but I can't seem to trigger it. Occassionaly I'll go out in the morning and the horn will sound 3 times when I unlock it with the FOB. According to the manual, it means it sensed an intrusion attempt. I should probably get an aftermarket set up and be done with it.

Old 07-04-2012 | 03:54 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
My truck didn't come with the FOB's either, but I did manage to score a couple on ebay for cheap. Programing them is easy........

The ones I see say you have to have on working remote to program or take to dealer. How did you do it?

Old 07-04-2012 | 04:22 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by gdstock
The ones I see say you have to have on working remote to program or take to dealer. How did you do it?
I'm curious myself....

Old 07-04-2012 | 05:24 PM
dlyter09
Champion

yea i wanna know to

Old 07-04-2012 | 05:56 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Programming instructions are here: http://www.ekeylessremotes.com/click...ctions-mop-19/

I ordered keys for my 3rd gen, great product, fast shipping.

Old 07-04-2012 | 06:00 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Programming instructions are here: http://www.ekeylessremotes.com/click...ctions-mop-19/

I ordered keys for my 3rd gen, great product, fast shipping.

From that link:

YOU MUST HAVE A WORKING REMOTE FOR THIS PROCEDURE TO WORK. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WORKING REMOTE THEN YOU MUST HAVE A REMOTE PROGRAMMED BY A DEALER OR LOCKSMITH USING DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT.
PLEASE READ ENTIRE PROCEDURE BEFORE PERFORMING. SOME VEHICLES MAY USE ONE OF TWO PROCEDURES. IF PROCEDURE 1. DOES NOT WORK THEN PLEASE USE PROCEDURE 2.

Programming procedure #1.
Obtain all remote transmitters for this vehicle.
1. Put key in ignition and turn ignition switch to ON position (as far as you can turn key without cranking engine).
2. Press and hold UNLOCK on a currently functioning remote for 4 to 10 seconds.
3. While holding the UNLOCK button during the 4 to 10 second period, press the panic button for one second and release both buttons at the same time. A chime should sound within three seconds to indicate the vehicle has entered programming mode.
4. Press any button on the remote used in step 3. You should hear an audible tone indicating that remote has been re-programmed. This step must be done within 30 seconds of hearing first chime in step 3.
5. Within 30 seconds of completiong step 4. press any button on the next remote. Repeat step 5. for all additional remotes including working remotes.
6. Programming is now complete. Turn ignition off and test remotes to ensure proper programming.

Programming Procedure #2
Obtain all remote transmitters for this vehicle.
1. Put key in ignition and turn ignition switch to ON position (as far as you can turn key without cranking engine).
2. Press and hold UNLOCK on a currently functioning remote for 4 to 10 seconds.
3. While holding the UNLOCK button during the 4 to 10 second period, press the panic button for one second and release both buttons at the same time. A chime should sound within three seconds to indicate the vehicle has entered programming mode.
4. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the same remote used in step 3. then release. You should hear an audible tone indicating that the remote was recognized. Once tone is heard press and release the UNLOCK button on that remote. A chime should sound indicating that the remote has been programmed. This must be done within 30 seconds of step 3.
5. Within 30 seconds of completing step 4. press the LOCK and UNLOCK button on the next remote then release. You should hear an audible tone indicating that the remote was recognized. Once tone is heard press and release the UNLOCK button on that remote. A chime should sound indicating that the remote has been programmed. Repeat step 5. for all additional remotes including working remotes.
6. Programming is now complete. Turn ignition off and test remotes to ensure proper programming.

Old 07-04-2012 | 06:02 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Hmm... I bought 2 used remotes on ebay and somehow I was able to get the system into programming mode using one of them......Even though the manual says it can't be done that way.....maybe I'm full of crap....

Old 07-04-2012 | 07:35 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
|
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
If mine had the factory alarm (not sure, it hasn't been the biggest priority for me..) I did not get the remotes, and the price to replace them and the price dealer wants to do set up is crazy stupid. So if I do something, it will be an aftermarket as well.

My dad bought the Yota I have new, and the dealer installed a great aftermarket, but my dad (not so technically trusting) had it removed.....I never bothered to reinstall one. Sincve most of the time, no one pays much attention to an alarm and living in a low crime area, I really don't give it much thought. But I suppose after someone breaks out a window it will be a higher priority.

White, did they get anything of value? And of course, these crimes are almost never solved....
I've never really had a problem.....ever. The situation was at a soccer arena where I was playing. 3 other vehicles also got hit, 2 of them right next to me. I've been parking in same place for 3 years. It is highly lit up as you can see in the picture (10:30pm).

This happened to be the one time I left my wallet in the center console AND did not set the alarm. However, I've no confidence it would have set off, nor still could have prevented. They moved fast and rummaged everything. I had my 120mm ammo can in the bed. They took that too. Jumper cables, serp belt, and 2 recovery straps.

Just a real bummer and just had be thinking about the alarm.

It is probably better to go aftermarket.

Old 07-04-2012 | 07:56 PM
gdstock
Legend

Don't know if it will apply (and lots of people here don't know), but a Texas Homeowner's Policy will cover some personal property stolen from a vehicle. DOn't know if Calif has the same type of coverage or not. But it may be worth checking into.

Old 07-04-2012 | 10:35 PM
gdstock
Legend

Wh1t3Nukle, this thread made we think to check into this for my Ram. So I pulled the FSM and started looking through the electrical diagrams and my build sheet. No reference to VTSS on build sheet. Drawing shos VTSS module in overhead console. I only have the console with the map lights and sunglasses holder and garage door opener compartment. None of the fancy stuff.

Does your build sheet reflect VTSS? Do you have the std console or the one with compass and mileage info?

I may pop mine off to see if there is any kind of module up there.

Quick Reply: how to test factory alarm?