2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default possible cooling issue

Well, i just replaced my intake manifold and did the plenum repair and that whole shabang lol

the IM i ended up getting was off of a 94, and had only one temperature sensor port. so i had to put the sensor in charge of air/fuel/pcm stuff in and had to relocate my gauge sensor. currently its in the heater hose coming off the manifold and going towards the passenger side valve cover.

heres the problem i'm having. i put fluid in and started it up. temperature started to climb and climb...it got to 225 before i shut it off...felt the upper radiator hose, and it was cold...i'm thinking ok, must be thermostat. went to the parts store, install new thermostat and repeat the process.

the temperature still rose to 225-230, BUT has stayed there. i'm just curious if there might be something wrong, or if my movement of the sensor might be the cause of the high reading. the way it is now, it doesnt really get AS much coolant flow, because its in a hose, but i would still think it should be pretty damn close to the 195-200 it should be. its weird though, cuz both thermostats worked to the point the upper radiator hose has gotten hot...so that obviously means their opening. and when the hose does get hot, its reading 230...and opens then. which makes me think is the sensor placement.

either that or the thermostat is locking open when it gets to that high temperature. idk...i'm kinda at a loss right now.
waiting for the truck to cool back down so i can check and see if the hose will stay cold until 230. if it does, that means the thermostat did not failsafe, and is functioning properly. if that happens, then i just wasted a good thermostat lol

just need some opinions here. any info is appreciated! thanks!

Last edited by wjxavier; 07-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

nvm. its all good. its the placement of the temp sensor. i had a laser thermometer and checked the temp of the all the hoses and they're hovering right around 180-190.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not drill and tap the intake for the other sensor? ez to do with the intake still on the motor. Coat the drill bit and the tap in grease to catch the aluminium bits/chunks, clean and re-coat as needed. You could also remove the t stat and put a wet dry vac hose in there to help. Use a nice sharp drill bit and with the right speed you should just get curls of aluminium off the bit not bits/chunks.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Why not drill and tap the intake for the other sensor? ez to do with the intake still on the motor. Coat the drill bit and the tap in grease to catch the aluminium bits/chunks, clean and re-coat as needed. You could also remove the t stat and put a wet dry vac hose in there to help. Use a nice sharp drill bit and with the right speed you should just get curls of aluminium off the bit not bits/chunks.

I will probably do that later in the future, but for now, this will have to work. lol to be honest, i just got tired of screwing with it haha. i'll save that project for another boring day

Quick Reply: possible cooling issue