2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram won't start. Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:11 PM
goblueram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram won't start. Please HELP!

I recently purchased a 98 ram with 120,000 miles through a county auction. Ran pretty well when I first bought it. Replaced the brakes and rotors after the test drive after I finished the brake project. I went to back the truck into the garage. I then stopped and turned the truck off so I could clean out the garage. I then came back to the truck about 10 minutes later and the truck wouldn't fire up. I went into the house tended to some business and came back out about 15 minutes later and she fired up. I backed the truck into the garage and has not started since. I have replaced the battery and still no luck. It just won't turn over. It sounds like power gets to the starter but she won't start up. Is it a fuel pump? any ideas would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Went and checked spark. I have a spark. Checked for fuel pressure got nothing. So I had the wife pump the gas about 8 times. I then came back out about 15 mins later and she fired right up. Any ideas as to why its an inconsistent start? I do want to note that after it started I went back shut it off and re-checked the fuel pressure and it's about 4.5. any ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited by goblueram; 07-20-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Updated condition
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

See what's missing... check for spark, and fuel pressure.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 PM
goblueram

I will check both tomorrow after work. I have to admit I am pretty green when it comes to the mechanical aspects of this, but I have found youtube and sites like this to be a huge help. Thanks

Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM
goblueram

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See what's missing... check for spark, and fuel pressure.
By the way thanks for the advice nice to run into someone from my hometown.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueram
I have replaced the battery and still no luck. It just won't turn over. It sounds like power gets to the starter but she won't start up. Is it a fuel pump? any ideas would be appreciated.

Does the starter engage and actually turn? You say it won't turn over but do you mean at all or it won't catch and run normally?

If the engine won't turn at all, fuel pump isn't an issue. Can you turn it by hand? Meaning, the rotating assembly isn't seized and if the engine won't turn by starter then it's a bad starter.

Do you gauges and things work when you turn the key to IGN or ON?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.
its ok to not know what's wrong with your truck, but try to give very technically accurate descriptions of what it does and doesn't do. they're are some really sharp people hanging around that can zero in pretty quickly if they get the right descriptions of the problem.

won't turn over - means that the starter does not turn and the engine does not spin.
won't crank - means that the starter turns, the engine turns, but the engine will not start up, and won't run.

as said - when you turn the key to on - do the gauges light up?
when you turn the key to start - does the starter and engine turn?

if the starter is not turning - with the hood up, listen for 2 special sounds. the first click will come from the black power box beside the battery. that's the relay closing. the second slightly louder clunk will come from the starter itself (driver side). that's the solenoid throwing the starter gear bendix thingy.

another test is to turn on the headlights when you try to start it. do the lights dim greatly, or only modestly?

report back.

Quick Reply: 98 ram won't start. Please HELP!