2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram, cutting out, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
tlbaker78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram, cutting out, etc

Hi everyone!

I have a 2001 Dodge ram 5.2L.

All in all this is a great truck, and I am overly sensitive to noises and stuff, and probably spend too much money on things that may not be needed, so alot of the things that are new , probably wasnt needed, but was more preventative.

In the last few months we have replaced:
Dist Cap
Rotor bug
Idle air control valve
MAP sensor
Idle Pos. Sensor
o2 sensor
Flowmatser Cat converter and exhust
k&N air filter
Plugs and wores last year.

ALSO, I changed the fuel pump 3 times now. The forst time I replaced it with one out of my parts truck, so more than likely it was also 11 years old, then I was having these cutting out problems and when accelerting I felt like it was chocking out so I bought a cheap less than $80 new pump on ebay.. well 3 days later im stranded becase the internal hose popped off, ok I bought a better $130 pump on ebay and it seems fine but I am still having issues.

Before I changed the pump at times I would start the truck, pull out of a parking lot onto a street, and it would choke up and have no pettle, but if I let off the pettle for a second or two it would be ok, and NOT DO IT AGAIN, untill after I restarted the truck. This only happened once or twice a day, but before I changed the pump it got really bad to where it did it more often.

ALSO, when accelerating on a interstae or something it felt like something was pulling me back and it didnt have much power.

OK, after changing the pump the cutting out part didn not happen for like a week, then it has happened once, exactly the same as before, when I am pulling onto a street and giving it gas, it cuts out and chokes up, but it only did it for a second or two.

I am worried that it may be another bad pump but what are the chances? I find it hard to beleive. It does run better since the new pump, but the problem is when I changed the pump, I also changed the MAP, IACV, IPS. so I dont know what to say. I think one or some or all of those fixed some things, but I still have less power than I did before. Seems like when I gas it I dont have the power I had, say a year ago. Takes longer to get up to speed.

What other possible thing could the problem be?

I am so sorry to bother everyone, but I am going crazy.

We did change the plenum last year (maybe a year and a half) BUT it may be bad again, as I looked down in there the other day and its slightly wet. Could that cause power issues? (if we change again we will get the hughes kit)

All in all like I said this truck is good. We have had out hands all through it. When we got it, because the people had used penzoil , it was all gunked up, and we cleaned it all out, put new oil pump and pick up tube, and have used either used valvoline high miliage, OR now I am using Rotella (trying it out although I dont like the low oil pressure at idle?) and the oil gets changed BEFORE 3k miles, always!

Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

There is no idle position sensor... which one did you actually change? How did you repair the plenum? Got an airtex fuel pump didn't ya? Hope you enjoy changing those, as they are **** poor quality. You want a Denso, or Delphi pump.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
tlbaker78

Sorry.. TPS Throttle position sensor.

And yes, Airtex, unfortunately! I dread the thought of having to take the bed off again! I hope these issues are not the pump!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How did you repair the plenum?

+1 on that question.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
kleo
Default cutting out

I have a 2001 ram v-10 and have been having the same problem from the day I drove it off the lot. I had a 1997 that had no problem in this area. When I got my 2001, the first time I hauled my horse it cut out so bad I thought I was going to go down the hill. I got used to not stamping on the accelerator peddle and the cutting out would not appear. However, it has come and gone over the years. My first 1994, Ram v-10 was a lemon and the manufacturer gave me a new 1997. I loved that truck since the acceleration halter had not been put on that truck and it flew!!!!
I have a feeling this might be a "lemon" problem.
Originally Posted by tlbaker78
Hi everyone!

I have a 2001 Dodge ram 5.2L.

All in all this is a great truck, and I am overly sensitive to noises and stuff, and probably spend too much money on things that may not be needed, so alot of the things that are new , probably wasnt needed, but was more preventative.

In the last few months we have replaced:
Dist Cap
Rotor bug
Idle air control valve
MAP sensor
Idle Pos. Sensor
o2 sensor
Flowmatser Cat converter and exhust
k&N air filter
Plugs and wores last year.

ALSO, I changed the fuel pump 3 times now. The forst time I replaced it with one out of my parts truck, so more than likely it was also 11 years old, then I was having these cutting out problems and when accelerting I felt like it was chocking out so I bought a cheap less than $80 new pump on ebay.. well 3 days later im stranded becase the internal hose popped off, ok I bought a better $130 pump on ebay and it seems fine but I am still having issues.

Before I changed the pump at times I would start the truck, pull out of a parking lot onto a street, and it would choke up and have no pettle, but if I let off the pettle for a second or two it would be ok, and NOT DO IT AGAIN, untill after I restarted the truck. This only happened once or twice a day, but before I changed the pump it got really bad to where it did it more often.

ALSO, when accelerating on a interstae or something it felt like something was pulling me back and it didnt have much power.

OK, after changing the pump the cutting out part didn not happen for like a week, then it has happened once, exactly the same as before, when I am pulling onto a street and giving it gas, it cuts out and chokes up, but it only did it for a second or two.

I am worried that it may be another bad pump but what are the chances? I find it hard to beleive. It does run better since the new pump, but the problem is when I changed the pump, I also changed the MAP, IACV, IPS. so I dont know what to say. I think one or some or all of those fixed some things, but I still have less power than I did before. Seems like when I gas it I dont have the power I had, say a year ago. Takes longer to get up to speed.

What other possible thing could the problem be?

I am so sorry to bother everyone, but I am going crazy.

We did change the plenum last year (maybe a year and a half) BUT it may be bad again, as I looked down in there the other day and its slightly wet. Could that cause power issues? (if we change again we will get the hughes kit)

All in all like I said this truck is good. We have had out hands all through it. When we got it, because the people had used penzoil , it was all gunked up, and we cleaned it all out, put new oil pump and pick up tube, and have used either used valvoline high miliage, OR now I am using Rotella (trying it out although I dont like the low oil pressure at idle?) and the oil gets changed BEFORE 3k miles, always!

Thanks

Quick Reply: 01 Ram, cutting out, etc