2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
oc94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge Ram Fan CJ
I just got mine back from the shop they had to put all new shocks on the front and new joints since I haven't changed them in a while and new allignment. So after all was done cost me about 500 bucks.
When you're able to, please post some pictures of how it sits now. Also, please post an update on ride quality if you note any change, once everything settles. I'm still undecided on which way to go and would appreicate additional input.

Also, parts and labor for all you had done doesn't sound too bad!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Randy Curran
Why would a spacer affect the ride? It doesn't affect the spring rate.
Yes it does. It will compress the spring about 10-20% more than if it didnt have a spacer. Thats why you only get about 2" out of a 2.5" spacer. Where do you think that other half an inch went. So you loose alot of the effectiveness of a progressive spring beacause it basically collapses the top rung or two, which are the rungs that are progressive in spring rate.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Randy Curran
Rookie

How could a spacer compress the top of the spring? Does it cause leverage somewhere in the rest of the suspension to make it compress? A spacer should be like a block for the rear, it just adds lift but doesn't affect the spring rate. I'm just asking cause it sounds goofy to me.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Gotta agree with Randy here. Simply adding spacers doesn't change the spring rate at all. It DOES alter suspension geometry a bit, but, that shouldn't affect the ride either....

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Dodge Ram Fan CJ

So i got my dodge back and what happend was I went with such a high spacer in the front I now need a block for my rear end but all in all the spacer came out good actually gave my truck a pretty good amount of lift almost looks higher than a 4x4. And also my steering seems a little different at first but the ride is more solid than it was stock.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

The control arms are spread farther apart when you add the spacer in. The you hae to force them back towards one another to get your ball joints in. Since the height of your spindle has not changed neither has the amount of distance between the upper and lower ball joint. So your control arms ends up being at a angle as opposed to being on a flat plane. What this does is apply more pressure to he outside of the spring and compresses it. If you look at your spring now you will see how compressed it is, so much so its prolly got alot of curvature to it, i know mine does. My spring is bowed out about 1-1.5"

Quick Reply: leveling kit