2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine and Plenum fixes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I was surprised. I was expecting the The Blob himself to appear out of it with how ****ty the power has been and how badly the gaskets were blown. No complaints here though.

Just got the starter off... that one bolt was BEYOND a PITA. But some rammstein kicked on and I found the extra energy needed. Now if I can get this damper-to-crankshaft bolt to come loose.... I'll be rockin' along. Letting some chemicals to sit there for a bit.

InfO.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
InfO
Veteran

Yeah, so that 32mm bolt isn't budging. At all. Any way, shape, or form. I've tried what the manual recommends with the screw driver in through where the starter connects and through a bolt hole on the front. And the driver side coolant drain plug isn't moving at all either. Gonna have to wait a bit I guess and hope that liquid wrench like stuff gets to work.

InfO.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a impact gun? took mine off with ease with my impact gun.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you need to take out the other water jacket plug? Tip for getting the HB bolt loose is smack the end of the tool you are using with a hammer, shock it and it will come loose, try doing this from under the truck.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
InfO
Veteran

Funny story about impact gun... I went to buy a compressor and toys yesterday. Was chattin' up the guy at Canadian Tire (Don't judge, small town) when he told me there was a $365 kit in the back on clearance for $65. I bought it. Bring it home, pretty happy, go for assembly and well... something isn't right. Turns out all the toys are in the kit, but it's the WRONG compressor, but the parts that bolt onto it are the right parts... so... no joy. Gonna see what I can sort out tomorrow.

I did try shocking it... letting it sit for the day. I can use the break anyways. Tomorrow I'll get it off, the cover, and perhaps the oil pan dropped.

Are there any major issues leaving these parts open? ie, open it all up today, perhaps not seal it back up until 2 days later? Or should I just wait out and try and disassemble/assembly all in one go?

InfO.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 AM
InfO
Veteran

Went back to Canadian Tire for the compressor. Turns out it was all last returned in 2008!! I asked if they could replace the compressor with the proper one, they said no and were going to take it all back. I had saved nearly $300 on it all. They DID have one there, but apparently it was "broken". I was about to only get refunded when suddenly I thought of something and asked IF it had a warranty and when it kicked in. Apparently it had a one year from the moment it was bought. Sweet. I took the better, stronger, but broken one and drove directly to the repair place. He's fixing it up now.

I've let those bolts sit with chems on them now for 48 hours. I'm going to try and use the bolts from the puller with a screw driver as a wedge and see if I can break that 32mm bolt today. I'll let everyone know. Also have a bunch of parts I'm going to take to the parts washer today.

InfO.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 AM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Why do you need to take out the other water jacket plug? Tip for getting the HB bolt loose is smack the end of the tool you are using with a hammer, shock it and it will come loose, try doing this from under the truck.
Uh... Just assumed I should to make sure all the coolant is out? Think it would be okay to just leave it as I had the other one out?

Random question, is there a better style of drain plug for there? Other than just the bolt? Not that I think I'll be opening them a lot, but thought I'd ask if there is a more ingenious system out there.

InfO.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 AM
InfO
Veteran

Three questions...

Was prepping the new intake, got all the brass nipples in and such and noted in the instructions that the IAT needs to be placed into the airflow. I have the 14x3 air hat, was just going to drill it a hole and put it into the bottom. The question is this: Would it be smart to replace the sensor? Or is it pretty durable and should be okay?

Question 2: On the front of the intake, near the thermostat on the passenger side is another electrical plug of some sort. Based on where it is, and on something I read in here just recently, just want the confirm: Is it a coolant sensor? Since I'm in here, should I replace that as well or is it fairly durable as well? (I ask primarily because it seems to be a bit of a bitch to remove for some reason)

Question 3: Painting engine parts. NEVER painted them before, did a little reading (though not a WHOLE lot yet, still skimming) and am curious if a primer has to be used? I was at two automotive shops, didn't really see any primer. I'm assuming just degrease the parts well, sand them a little, put them through a parts washer to ensure there is no residue left of any kind, then just use a high temp paint of my choice? Any recommendations?

Thanks.
InfO.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

I have never used a primer on engine parts. Just make sure they are degreased really well and then rub them down with some heavy steel wool.

If im not mistaken our version of the IAT sensor is mounted in the TB.

That plug near the front is indeed a coolant temp sensor. Some years had two of them. Make sure you just have the one. They do tend to break easily. Usually after they have corroded a bit, i would go ahead and put a new one in.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
InfO
Veteran

Hrm, maybe I just have the name wrong?

What is this...

Name:  Whatis.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  236.2 KB

I circled it in yellow. There is no point for it to go on the new intake, and the instructions said to put it into the air filter housing I believe.

InfO.

Quick Reply: Engine and Plenum fixes...