2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans suddenly slipps to neutral in all gears no warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
omgtkk1971
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans suddenly slipps to neutral in all gears no warning

I rarely need to post but i cannot find anything in archives. I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 ive had it for 6-7 years the trans has never slipped. The other day i was heading to work and it would slip in and out of neutral while taking off and at speed and then no power. I can cut the truck off and turn it back on and it would go into gear and shift for a little bit but do it again. I cut it off and on again and i was able to get it home. There are no codes showing. it seems it would be a solinoid or something electrical but i would figured that would throw a code. Ive never had any trouble with trans at all . The only trouble ive had with it lately is i had to change thermostat it run a little hot but nowhere near red lining and i just bought new battery cause i either have bad battery connection or need new alternator but i need to figure this problem out now. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
omgtkk1971

oh and the truck is automatic by the way. Ive tried in all gears and reverse and have no movement in any only neutral.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Only three things can make you lose both forward and reverse suddenly:

1. Clogged filter and or low fluid. If the fluid is low, the pump will suck air. If the filter is clogged, the pump will become starved. If the filter is clogged, you have another issue (most likely catastrophic) in the transmission.

2. Clogged radiator, check valve, or auxiliary cooler. This is very, very common and is often overlooked.

3. Stuck pressure regulator valve in the valve body. This isn't nearly as common as the first two, however it can happen.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM
bjpomeroy
Rookie

I had the exact same problem. Took it to a mechanic and ended up having my trans rebuilt.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
omgtkk1971

Sorry bout the wait i dont have computer on hand. The fluid is normal it has gotten darker over last few years. I can hear a winding noise when put in gear. I have replaced the thermostat, but if there is a clogg in radiator or elsewhere that would mean the radiator overheated. Are those symptoms i should check and fix or are those causes for a blown transmission??

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

The transmission cooler is enclosed in the radiator but a separate unit, it has nothing to do with your engines cooling system. Pull the return line (the one that goes to the rear of the transmission) and have a helper start the truck and shift it to neutral while you record how much fluid you get. You should have one quart in 10-15 seconds.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Jason_Dodge
Rookie

If thats the case, id either replace the radiator or just buy a nice tranny cooler and run it standalone.

Quick Reply: Trans suddenly slipps to neutral in all gears no warning