2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to pinch/block fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Moochoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to pinch/block fuel line?

Hey guys,

i have a fuel pressure issue, it drops rapidly after shutdown. Im tryin to decifer whether its a leaking injector or a faulty fuel pressure regulator at the pump.. I looked in the manual and it says to block the fuel line to determine which is causing the pressure loss...

I see you can unhook the line under the cab where the metal line turns to flexible material but can I hook up my gauge there?
I dont really see anywhere that I can clamp a vise grip down and gauge the rail either...

How have you guys done it?

Thanks! Jake

Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think most of the line is the hard plastic? Don't wanna pinch that off...... I think the dealer has some special tool that installs between the line, and the rail, with a valve on it you can close off, to test pressure drop.

If it falls off rapidly though, and you do NOT get a big black cloud at startup, regulator is gonna be the issue.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

cold start up would produce a black haze?

nad is there a special tool that ill need to disconnect the rail from the supply line? its doesnt seem to snap on/off

Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea you need the tool to disconnect, but a couple inches away from that connection is a sort of braided line. That's where you pinch it off. But, somehow I dont think you have leaking injectors. The fuel pump is the problem, or at least the pressure regulator that is built into it.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

I tried pinching the braided line but its tough stuff!!
Im almost positive is the regulaotr too. Its just a real pain to pull the bed/tank on a "hunch"...
I have just been cycling the key and letting the pump run an extra couple times before I start it

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used a c-clamp to pinch the line on my 98 . It worked but didn't think it was too good for the line. Since then I bought the T adapter for my fuel pressure kit.

Quick Reply: Where to pinch/block fuel line?