2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeeking/grwoling from the front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 AM
GiantsNiners99
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeking/grwoling from the front end

I thought i had a squeaking/growling coming from my breaks but after replacing them its wasn't them. It only does it when i put a 10 degree turn on the steering wheel. When im driving straight there is no noise but as soon as i turn it almost creams at me im Thinking its the u-joints. Any ideas on what it is or how to fix it?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
RageGuy
Professional

Defiantly U joints if its only when your turning and not when your going in a straight line.

I had the same issue, you can spray some WD-40 on the joints, that will shut them up as a quick fix until you can get around to / can afford to replace them. Worked for me at least.

Jack front end up and spin front tires by hand while the wheels are turned to make sure nothing is actually binding....if your binding, screw the WD-40 idea and replace your joints NOW.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Could also be wheel bearings.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Could also be wheel bearings.
Yes, could be, but if it was wheel bearings you'd hear it all the time. Straight line, and turning to any degree. The bearings rotate 100% of the time, regardless of what position your wheels are in, they also tend to make more of a popping / snapping / clunking sound, when they are dying, not so much a squeaking.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most likely axle u-joints. to test, with vehicle level and on the ground, grab hold of the inner axle and twist it back and forth against the wheel. any movement indicates bad.

Quick Reply: squeeking/grwoling from the front end