2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Start Up Noise Crank? Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:25 PM
fatpot
|
Default Start Up Noise Crank? Oil Pressure?

I purchased a 1999 Dodge 2500 SLT with a V10, 58,000 originial miles.
The truck runs excellent, like new condition. Put a new exhaust on it from Cat's back.
Changed Oil, Plugs, Filters, LOF etc... So Happy cant stand it.... Then the NOISE>>>>

When I went to the Exhaust Shop they discovered a sound which was noticed on startup of the engine. I was aware of the noise and thought it to be a pully or bearing from the Ac or Powersteering unit.

The noise is as follows:

1. Only on start up and when there is a load on the engine like acceleration.
2. It stops about 5 to 8 seconds after started and the oil pressure gauge jumps up to 38 PSI at idle and sometimes up to 40+.
3. Mechanic checked the oil for metal parts.. None
4. Mechanic checked flywheel for cracks or damage,,, None
Mechanic listened with scope on heads, valve covers, oil pan, block, almost the whole engine and believes that it is the CRANK...
5. Took the truck to Dodge Dealer (Certified Dodge Mechanic) who only listened to start up issue and said " Bad Crank" without hesitation. Said Sell the Truck!!!! NOT.. Wanna Know First....

Problems with diagnosis // Dont know???

1. I have driven the truck for over 2,000 miles with same noise, and the Motor has not blown or changed.
2. The noise stops after you start it and oil pressure builds.
3. There is no oil burn, compression is good, power is good,
4. Truck runs excellent with exception to noise and low oil pressure on start up.

Any Ideas if this is a bad oil pump, plugged oil tube, oil pressure issue vs "bad crank". Crank may be making the noise until the pressure builds up then it stops..

Or is it truley a "BAD CRANK".... OMG hope not...

I would appreciate any suggestions on additional diagnosis or what to do to make some eliminations... Not driving the truck until I can get a good diagnosis and fix it...

Thanks.

Last edited by fatpot; 08-19-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 08-20-2012 | 07:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it only rattles for a few seconds till oil pressure comes up, and you don't have any other oil pressure problems..... Just drive it. Does it only do it cold? Or, every time you start it?

What's oil pressure at idle on a fully warmed engine??

Old 08-20-2012 | 10:19 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Id be very skeptical when someone says "bad crank" I mean if your crank is bad you would know because your engine would be totaled.

What weight oil are you using?

Old 08-21-2012 | 01:07 AM
fatpot
|

Yeah only on start up. If you start the motor let it run, turn it off and start it back up right away, it don't make the noise.. Oil pressure on idle warm is about 38,, just below 40 on the guage. driving it goes from 40 to about 70... Using 10/30 ..blend..

Old 08-21-2012 | 01:10 AM
fatpot
|

After it is running and you run it, if you turn it off , restart it within about 30 seconds, no noise. If the oil pressure drops and or oil settles for a minute it does it again...

Old 08-21-2012 | 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Put a mechanical gauge on it, and make sure your gauge in the dash is telling you the truth.

No pressure at cold start, or, after sitting for a while is pretty normal. The noises are not though.... probably a sign that the engine is going to be in need of a rebuild in the not so distant future... on the other hand, I have seen folks drive vehicles that did that for years without issue......

Could do some flavor of pre-luber..... so oil pressure comes up before you even crank the motor...... probably buy you some more time.

Old 08-22-2012 | 02:32 PM
fatpot
|

Ok. Thanks all. Not sure if I will keep the truck. Hate to say it but I just purchased it in past 2 months. My Bad. Trade in to a delearer. Can't screw some other guy. Dealer maybe. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Start Up Noise Crank? Oil Pressure?