2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Light & Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
npbates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light & Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing

I have a 1996 Dodge 2500 4wd truck. The brake light fuse and turn signal fuse keeps blowing. I have tried a larger fuse with no luck. I cannot find any bad wiring and have replaced the brake light switch. The abs and brake light on dash have been on for a while. Please help!!!! I love my truck just can't drive it without the turn signals and brake lights. One final note I can use the trailer electrical to activate the brake lights and they work.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't install a larger fuse, you'll melt something.

you have a short somewhere along the way. check the wires and connections around the trailer plugs, trailer wiring connections/junctions. if nothing obvious, check the sockets in the tail lights.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
don't install a larger fuse, you'll melt something.

you have a short somewhere along the way. check the wires and connections around the trailer plugs, trailer wiring connections/junctions. if nothing obvious, check the sockets in the tail lights.

+1. Go to the FAQ/DIY section and download the service manual. Look at section 8W (I believe) and see where the wires are common. May also disconnect one side or front or rear, as this can help isolate where the problem is located.

Quick Reply: Brake Light & Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing