2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 4bt Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochoff
Feels like the project moved quick to this point but will be slow for a while. Motor mounts, fuel lines, and getting the driveshafts shortened/lengthened.

Empty engine bay

Girlfriend got a funny picture of me looking stupid while we were having a beer afterwards
Looks more like your thinking "How the hell am I going to do this swap?!" Lol

Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM
CharlieSheenWins
Professional
Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Oh trust me you will have that look on your face, or scratching your head more times then you want to believe. lol.

sounds like a sweet project, best of luck to you. I get tired of hearing all about people wanting to do a cummins swap and never going through with it. I'm glad to see someone who is not just blowing smoke. I tip a beer to you my friend.

By the way, the idea for getting the bed off, interesting lol. Where did you put the hooks to pick it up? I see the back hook was put in the rear left bedside pocket, where did you hook up in the front? Pretty easy? Reason I ask is I may have to rig something up to do this getting my bed off, now that my truck has a lift. Wasn't to hard with a couple of guys when it was stock to just pick it up and move it... not see easy now lol.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Moochoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LegendKiller89
Oh trust me you will have that look on your face, or scratching your head more times then you want to believe. lol.

sounds like a sweet project, best of luck to you. I get tired of hearing all about people wanting to do a cummins swap and never going through with it. I'm glad to see someone who is not just blowing smoke. I tip a beer to you my friend.

By the way, the idea for getting the bed off, interesting lol. Where did you put the hooks to pick it up? I see the back hook was put in the rear left bedside pocket, where did you hook up in the front? Pretty easy? Reason I ask is I may have to rig something up to do this getting my bed off, now that my truck has a lift. Wasn't to hard with a couple of guys when it was stock to just pick it up and move it... not see easy now lol.
Thanks for the encouragement
As for the bed, 6 loctited bolts which were a pain, but doable.. Then
I took the thin motor chain and put it through the main hook, attached the back left and front right holes in the bed rail and it lifted up fairly straight. Makes it WAY easier to work on the fuel pump, etc...

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ole Lady cleaning her new tranny
Meaning that it is her truck?
I wish I could get mine to do anything other than hold a flashlight for me.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Moochoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
Meaning that it is her truck?
I wish I could get mine to do anything other than hold a flashlight for me.
Yeah she turns a few wrenches here and there.. and ran the chain hoist to float that huge chunk of metal out of the engine bay lol

This is her "dream truck"

Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 PM
CharlieSheenWins
Professional

Originally Posted by Moochoff
This is her "dream truck"
Wait..What?! You found yourself a keeper my friend.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Moochoff
Veteran

This 46re is just a baby compared to the '94 47rh it was sitting next too, seems like there isn't a ton of difference between the two electrically
Name:  photo-6.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  128.2 KB

Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
CharlieSheenWins
Professional

I'd love to know whats involved in the wiring and electrical part of the swap. Seems to be the only thing that really makes me scratch my head when I think about getting a 4bt.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Not much electrical, just difficult to figure out. You can get it running fairly easy. Just a few wire's. Its getting the tach and crap to work that's difficult. There's some guys at both www.4btswaps.com and www.competitiondiesel.com that have done it successfully. Might check that out.

Quick Reply: 1998 4bt Cummins Swap